Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 S500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after major set backs my baby is on the road. I purchased my 97 S500 last Feb. After numerous repairs, paint job and interior work my tranny went before I could put the wheels on. That's water under the bridge now!! Many months and $$$$ later here is my masterpiece. I know you guy don't care for big wheels but my staggered 22"s look awsome. What you guys think????:confused: 20120307_163422.jpg

20120307_173508.jpg

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Wow... that is a lot of chrome. I must ask: how bad do they vibrate?

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Yes, my girlfriend wants to know...

That fun apart, I think the car looks awesome... a very nice one.

·
Registered
97 S500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow... that is a lot of chrome. I must ask: how bad do they vibrate?
Vibrate???:confused: Brand new speed balanced wheels and left and right upper control arms and ball joints. Mounted 2 days ago. Just got off the highway racing my friend in LS400 before taking pic.....long story short 100 MPH NO SHAKE!!!:shit not:

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
the vibration on these w140s is from 45-60mph. not alot places are able balance wheels for the w140 properly. i had my wheels balanced 3 times till it was perfect.

·
Registered
97 S500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the vibration on these w140s is from 45-60mph. not alot places are able balance wheels for the w140 properly. i had my wheels balanced 3 times till it was perfect.
Had 18" Cartslon Benz wheels on at first....they came with car. They where nice but showed there age(slight bends and scrapes). The car had a vibration at faster speeds. After fresh front end and my man's awsome hand of wheel balancing I'm showing off:D

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
did you get your fenders rolled and what not to fit the 22" ? do 22" get better traction compared to your 18"? the only reason why i kept my 18" was because of traction, the 16" sucked on traction.

i am gonna get my cousin's shop to refresh my front end suspension. i already did the rear suspension(but i forgot the damn shock mounts on top :( ) plus side is drove my mercedes exactly 6500miles in two years :) if you don't mind me asking how much was the transmission rebuilt you got done(so i know what to expect to give to my cousin if he doesn't take money from me)?

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
Car is nice and clean, can't say I like the wheels. In my opinion I think 22 is too big, makes the car sit high, not what it's meant to look like coming down the road. Also sporty spoke type wheels, in my opinion, looks funny on the w140. Glad you fixed vibration by redoing suspension, I plan on doing the same. I hope the 22s don't trash the new parts.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
the s600 with the ads, have issues when you put 20" or bigger(thats what a local alignment shop said) i personally don't hate them but i wouldn't put anything bigger then 19" like i said. but i mean it doesn't look bad but i would prefer 18s or 19s. also the struts wear out faster when you put big rims.

·
Registered
254 Posts
its something i definitely wouldn't do on my car but it looks like you put in allot of work and money into it. if you like it then keep it up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
97 S500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
did you get your fenders rolled and what not to fit the 22" ? do 22" get better traction compared to your 18"? the only reason why i kept my 18" was because of traction, the 16" sucked on traction.

i am gonna get my cousin's shop to refresh my front end suspension. i already did the rear suspension(but i forgot the damn shock mounts on top :( ) plus side is drove my mercedes exactly 6500miles in two years :) if you don't mind me asking how much was the transmission rebuilt you got done(so i know what to expect to give to my cousin if he doesn't take money from me)?
Didn't have to touch front fenders but had to modify inner plastic some. Now the back was a little different. My rear wheels are 22x10.5 which caught the innner edge which I shaved. There also is an inner plastic in the rear that had to be modified too. None of this is neccessary if you go with the standard 22x8.5 wheel. Just mounted new wheels earlier this week so and like you very few miles have been put on her by me because I lost the fight with a dying tranny months after the buying car and weeks after the paint job:crybaby2: After that I let her sit so kind of hard to compare previous traction but she does hold the road :rolleyes: I got the tranny online for $700 plus shipping but damaged the sprag gear(w/18" wheels on the car NOT 22") the 2nd day racing the Mrs in her 2000 740il:banghead: Plenty online in the $1000 range but rebuild quotes were much higher. Lucky for me I "know a guy that knows a guy" who is a tranny master and WHALAA!!:D I know BIG wheels are an aquired taste but I love my creation and the stares we get!!! IMAG0239.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts