Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML500
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MB is telling me that with only 20k miles, that the ML500 rotors are not designed to be resurfaced.

Can anyone confirm this????
what cheaper alternatives than $1300 quote from MB?

-guy

·
Registered
2014 E63s AMG
319 Posts
A guy on Ebay selling Brembo Crossdrilled Plated rotors for 320 a set!!!!! Best deal I have found and they look alot better then stock rotors!

·
Registered
98 ML320 / 06 S2000 / 12 E350 BTC
856 Posts
Mercedes generally don't recommand resurface the rotors as they are thin enough to save weight and better steering performance.... less unspring wieght.

if the rotors gets too thin you'll be annoyed by sqeeal when braking.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,241 Posts
gschlact - 5/30/2004 7:56 AM

MB is telling me that with only 20k miles, that the ML500 rotors are not designed to be resurfaced.

Can anyone confirm this????
what cheaper alternatives than $1300 quote from MB?

-guy
Who is "MB"??

In the Mercedes technical books, there are references to resurfacing rotors, and generally specifications are given as to the minimum thickness allowed. Also given are specifications of the requirements and tolerances for a machine to be able to resurface such rotors.

I've looked into the machines, and it is EXTREMELY costly to obtain one that meets the recommendations listed in the technical manuals. The price for Mercedes rotors is such that it would be difficult to charge labor for resurfacing, charge profit to pay for the equipment, and have it cost less than a new rotor.

Therefore, it is unlikely you will find a shop that has a machine that meets the minimum requirements. So most shops will tell you "oh you just can't do it."

The truth is, THEY can't do it.

-s-

·
Registered
98 ML320 / 06 S2000 / 12 E350 BTC
856 Posts
oh well just clamp a piece of sand paper and drive around the block ... [:p]

j/k

yeah rotors are pretty cheap now as long as you are not getting those cross-drilled/slotted placebo effect stopping power disc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.