Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
W211: '04 E320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to these forums, and I'm glad I found you guys! I have an '04 E320 w/Appearance & Premium Pkgs, with 16k miles. I've been having some small quirky problems with my car ever since a couple months after purchasing it. I've taken it the dealer numerous times, but every time they've told me they can't "replicate the problem" so I've been unable to have the problems corrected. And quite frankly, they're beginning to make me feel like I'm just "tripping" over these problems.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. If any of you happened to have had the same problem, and were able to get it repaired... how did you identify the problem to the service dept (maybe I'm not communicating the problem clearly to them)? and what did they do to repair it?

1.) Engine surges at the low speeds (less than 10mph). Feels like about to stall, than engine surges causing car to jerk forward.

2.) Dynamic Drive Seats - inflate by themselves intermittently when OFF. Usually the seat bottom (front part, near the pedals), and the lower seat backs. And no, they are not supposed to inflate when the system is OFF.

3.) Clicking noise coming from the backside of the front seatbacks. I'm not sure if this could be related to the Dynamic Drive Seats or the Fan-Cooled Seats.

4.) Electronic "beep/honking" sound coming from back side of car. Though rare (this has happend around 15 times so far), this usually occurs shortly after starting the engine or turning off the engine. Just one long BEEEEEEEP sound.

MINOR:
5.) Wind buffeting noise coming from underside of car when driven down canyon roads around 40-60mph.

I've already had the recall/software update for the braking systems applied and had a repair done to my fuel line system (leaking gasket).

This is my family's sixth benz (and my first), and overall I'm very unimpressed at the quality of these newer models. Namely, because of the problems I've had above, and the lack of dealership support at getting them repaired.

Thank you guys in advance for any help! :)

·
Registered
E320 (w211)
96 Posts
I'll tell you within these few days after they check my car tomorrow.

My car jerks at slow speeds as well especially during traffic on freeways.

I also had some rattling noises what seems to be coming from the back seat rest area but found out that it was from the sunroof cover compartment/area that place where the roof slides into. When I go through rough roads it rattles and I gently press my hand on the back roof and the sounds gone. Dunno if you're having this kinda problem.

I also had some minor problems after I got my E320. After 5 days of ownership my car wont start and found out that the Crankshaft sensor malfunctioned, my car was flatbed to the dealer to have it replaced. After 2 days it happened again and I had it towed to another dealer and that dealer found out that the newly installed crankshaft sensor was a defect. It was so frustrating! Now after a year that problem never resurfaced thank goodness, but now this jerking thing is getting on my nerves.

·
Registered
E320 (w211)
96 Posts
OH btw you said clicking noise? This reminds me of something similar in my car. The noise is more easily heard while sitting in the back of the car and its usually when the car is stationary. Its like a very faint knocking sound. When I first start the car in the morning theres no sound but as the car gets warmed up the sound sufaces but can only be heard when the car is stopped or at a very quiet place.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Is the "jerking" transmission issue occuring when decellerating, accellerating, or both? I intermittently experience something I would describe as a "jerky" downshift when decellerating through approx. 7 mph, but I am not sure my issue is the same as the one you are talking about here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "jerking" occurs both while accelerating AND decellerating. It only happens at slow speeds (below 10mph) and when the transmission is in the default "S" (sport) mode.

It literally feels like when you're driving a manual transmission car, and the car kinda hesitates for split second, like its about to stall... and then hits the gas to prevent it, causing the car to "jerk"/surge/lunge forward.

This problem doesn't occur if you put the transmission in "C" (comfort mode - skips 1st gear), so I'm assuming its a problem with the 1st gear on the transmission. Defective shift program maybe? (I'm not very knowledgable about the technical terms.)

It happens intermittently, but lately its been happening pretty often (maybe because of the warmer weather??). I'm at the point where when it starts happening, I can almost force it to happen... simply by depressing the accelerator slightly and letting off, and then depressing the accelerator again slightly. In fact, it occurs the most when I'm crawling along in traffic on the fwy, and accelerating in such a fashion.

Its really quite maddening, that despite my description of this problem and specific details of when/how it occurs, I STILL cannot get this repaired after over 4-5 visits to the dealer.

I figure I'll give a dealership one more shot at this, and then I'm firing off an angry letter to Mercedes. This really is a totally ridiculous problem for a car of this expense to have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zergcerebrates - 4/6/2005 12:49 AM

OH btw you said clicking noise? This reminds me of something similar in my car. The noise is more easily heard while sitting in the back of the car and its usually when the car is stationary. Its like a very faint knocking sound. When I first start the car in the morning theres no sound but as the car gets warmed up the sound sufaces but can only be heard when the car is stopped or at a very quiet place.
Heya zergcerebrates,

Yes, that sounds very familiar. I guess that "clicking" sound, could sound like a "knocking" sound as well, hehe. Circumstances are similar, although I haven't noticed if engine temperature affects it.

I first noticed it when I was driving late at night (less outside ambient noise), with the stereo off, and while at a stop. Ever since then, I always pick up on that noise when it starts. Once you first start hearing it, you can't stop hearing it.

It seems to alternate back and forth, from the left side (*click,click*) to the right side (*click,click*), and it sounds like its coming from directly behind you (backside of the front seatbacks?) when seated in the driver seat.

I tried to get this fixed at the dealer as well, but they came back to me with a "We couldn't replicate the problem". I'm thinking it was probably cause their work area was too noisy (what with all the mechanics working), because this noise is not a rarity at all.

Have you tried to get it fixed? and have any luck?

·
Registered
2005 E500
3 Posts
My car has the same problems items 3 and 4. there has been a discussion about them in the * w211 forum. check out:

http://forums.*.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99338&highlight=clicking+sound

According to my dealer the clicking sound is normal and comes from the relay that actuates the bladders in the DD seats. The dealer added some acoustic material to my seats to lessen the sound. those who have the vented seats hear it louder because the sound comes out the vents in the rear of the seats.

The loud "bagpipe" sound coming from the trunk may be from a kinked airline from the central locking system. Others (including myself have also had this problem). see:

http://forums.*.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79375&page=2&pp=10

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YES, those are my problems EXACTLY! lol funny I never thought of it as a "bagpipe" sound, but it does indeed sound like that. Scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it.

thanks for the tips vortexx... but those links don't seem to work for me.

are the links for the forums here? or another site? (not sure what "forums.*.org" is)

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
charliek - 4/7/2005 4:18 PM

The "jerking" occurs both while accelerating AND decellerating. It only happens at slow speeds (below 10mph) and when the transmission is in the default "S" (sport) mode.

It literally feels like when you're driving a manual transmission car, and the car kinda hesitates for split second, like its about to stall... and then hits the gas to prevent it, causing the car to "jerk"/surge/lunge forward.

This problem doesn't occur if you put the transmission in "C" (comfort mode - skips 1st gear), so I'm assuming its a problem with the 1st gear on the transmission. Defective shift program maybe? (I'm not very knowledgable about the technical terms.)

It happens intermittently, but lately its been happening pretty often (maybe because of the warmer weather??). I'm at the point where when it starts happening, I can almost force it to happen... simply by depressing the accelerator slightly and letting off, and then depressing the accelerator again slightly. In fact, it occurs the most when I'm crawling along in traffic on the fwy, and accelerating in such a fashion.

Its really quite maddening, that despite my description of this problem and specific details of when/how it occurs, I STILL cannot get this repaired after over 4-5 visits to the dealer.

I figure I'll give a dealership one more shot at this, and then I'm firing off an angry letter to Mercedes. This really is a totally ridiculous problem for a car of this expense to have.
What you are describing sounds MUCH more severe than what I have experienced. I read somewhere on this board about there being a defective transmission control unit that, once replaced, will solve the problem you seem to be having. I agree it is ridiculous for these kinds of problems to be occuring. The problems I have run into on my MB E500 have all been minor and were solved by my dealer to my satisfaction. So I am still happy with the car.

I hope you get your issues worked out soon. You should not have to go through this.

·
Registered
E320 (w211)
96 Posts
Well I took my car to Rusnak Arcadia today. After 7hrs in the shop they called me back and said they could not replicate the problem(which I'm not surprised at all),they said although they couldn't replicate the problem and that the computer didn't show any malfunction it doesn't mean the car is fine. So they told me that I couldn't get my car today and that they would like to run further test and diagnostics with it. I was satisfied with their response at least they're trying to solve the issue unlike some dealers who just wish to get rid of you. Anyways I got a C230 Kompressor for rental and guess what I heard? A knocking sound coming from the back. I asked the service advisor about the cause of the knocking sound and he also said that it was normal every car has it but if Mercedes would make the padding below a bit thicker it would isolate the sound.

Anybody know who made the Transmissions for Mercedes? I know BMW doesn't make their own, but dunno about benz.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zergcerebrates - 4/7/2005 11:31 PM

Well I took my car to Rusnak Arcadia today. After 7hrs in the shop they called me back and said they could not replicate the problem(which I'm not surprised at all),they said although they couldn't replicate the problem and that the computer didn't show any malfunction it doesn't mean the car is fine. So they told me that I couldn't get my car today and that they would like to run further test and diagnostics with it. I was satisfied with their response at least they're trying to solve the issue unlike some dealers who just wish to get rid of you.
Sorry to hear that they couldn't "replicate the problem". I hate those words! [:(!]

On one occasion, I had brought my car into the dealership to get some problems fixed (from my first post above). They couldn't replicate the problems nor find fault codes, again. My service advisor knew that it wasn't my first time there for the same problems, so he suggested that they could have the head technician take my car home on an "overnight drive test". It made sense to me, and I really appreciated the extra effort. I figured an extended drive would give a better opportunity for the problem/noises to arise, right?

When I picked it up a few days later (it was over the wkend), I was told that they STILL could not identify/hear the problems I was complaining about. I was told that the head technician even drove my car home while it was hooked up to some stethoscope-type of device (to isolate and amplify noises from different parts of the car). I was utterly baffled that they couldn't hear these noises through a "stethoscope", and yet I could consistently hear them without any hearing aids at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, even though it may seem like they may go well beyond the extra mile for you... in then end, if nothing gets fixed, and all they can say is that they "can't replicate the problem"... it means absolutely nothing.

Although, I really do hope that they find the problem for you (especially, so that you can tell me about how they fixed it!) [:D]

·
Registered
E320 (w211)
96 Posts
Charliek,

I got good news for you. I think Rusnak Arcadia solved the jerking problem with my car, one hour and 45 mins in traffic and not a single jerk. I usually would have at least 3 times during traffic everyday. They called me and said the issue was solved today so I thought they found out what the problem was and they said NOPE,but they did manage to replicate the problem this time and said that they had past experiences with customers who had the same problems I did and it seem to fix the problem so they did exactly the samething, repgrogram the transmission all over. The advisor also told me they did several things to it but I forgot it already by the end of day. I wish they would list the procedures and the things they did on the invoice in detail. They checked my transmission control unit as well but they said it was fine and was not the cause.

OH btw before the problem was solved my car use to jerk whether its in comfort mode or sports 1 and 2. So I don't think its the problem with the first gears.

Charliek, perhaps you can try to take your car to Rusnak to have them take a look seem like they know whats happening this time maybe because more people are having similar issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have my latest problem on videotape! So now when they can't "replicate" it, they can watch it on the screen at least...

Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol.. I had actually thought of tape-recording the noises, but I guess getting it on video would be even better...

on another note.. I FINALLY got my transmission issues (jerking/lurching) problem fixed. It was indeed the Transmission Control Unit. Got that replaced last month and no problems at all now. Car feels so much more confident with its gear-shifting now, it feels like a different car.

THANK YOU guys for the input/advice. These forums rock!

And a word of advice... if your service advisor can't help fix your problem, on your next visit ask for another one. The last time I went in I was assigned a different SA (my regular SA had the day off), and this new guy knew EXACTLY what transmission problem I was talking about and had it fixed, no problems.

Unfortunately, my other problems couldn't be replicated still because of their intermittent nature... but those will come in time I suppose. The transmission was the most glaring/irritating problem. The others I can live with for now at least, or until I see another SA. [:D]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts