Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

On the SLK350 you must use the oil dip stick to determine your oil level. The end of this oil dip st

• YES

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • NO

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 - 2005 and E 250 - 2014
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the SLK350 you must use the oil dip stick to determine your oil level. The end of this oil dip stick is a red plastic tip. I find it very difficult if not impossible to read the oil level with this red plastic tip. Are my eyes just not up to the task or are other owners having the same difficulty? [?][?]

·
Registered
SLK 350 - 2005 and E 250 - 2014
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those options are not there so that you go and try to read the oil dip stick - you should be doing this.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If the oil is fresh and clean it is hard to see. When its gets dirty it will show up good agnaist the red. It will get dirty with 13K between oil changes.
My car only has 600 miles on her. Looking to see if it was down. Puffed a huge cloud upon cold start up one time which concerned me. Car had sat for several days. Smoked more then my pumped Cummins Dodge on cold start up.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
we need a dont know option here. I have done 1500 miles and not opened the bonnet yet. I am sure the engine looks pretty, and will be interested to look, but I think I will leave the rest to the mechanics...hmmm, guess I should check the oil and the tyres as well.

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
I can read the oil dip stick, but, I prefer the one on the old SLK230. There are two small holes in the red plastic tip at the lower end of the acceptable range. If you wipe the dip stick completely dry with a paper towel, then check the oil level, it's easy to determine if the oil level is above these two holes. It would be nice if there were a third hole just below the full level.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Yes, but I use a trick. As you pull it out, press the oily end of the dipstick on a piece of clean paper towel which you hold in your hand. Don't move the paper relative to the dipstick. This way, you can see exactly where the oil level is.

roadsta

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Glenns_SLK350 - 4/7/2005 6:32 PM

Where is it? The dealer said there wasn't one when I asked him.
Your car come with a manual?, ck pg 291, picture and everything.

Also, IMHO, good sales people are good, because they can talk without being bothered with whether they know what they are talking about.

BTW, the SLK55 does NOT have a dipstick.

·
Registered
SLK 350
26 Posts
roadsta - 4/7/2005 1:38 PM

Yes, but I use a trick. As you pull it out, press the oily end of the dipstick on a piece of clean paper towel which you hold in your hand. Don't move the paper relative to the dipstick. This way, you can see exactly where the oil level is.

roadsta
I did this today, worked great thanks Roadsta. Full by the way 777 miles

·
Registered
SLK 350
155 Posts
Roasta has it exactly correct. Initially I thought the same thing about reading the level on the red end piece. The best time to check the oil is before you drive it for the day because all settlement of oil has occurred overnight. After 1700 miles no oil consumption at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts