Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of us face a similar problem; Stealership pricings, so many of us have turned to DIY to solve our problems, however many member like myself aren't mechanically inclined and would be what you call "noobs" For those that are mechanically inclined, next time you work on your car, can you make videos on your how-to and put it on Youtube. This is a great way to get it out in the community and have it become more helpful for others. I find the w163 model has very few videos of DIY on Youtube; video examples are easier than typing words and make more sense to viewers than looking at pictures. Some example of DIYs could be how to change fluids, how to change sparkplugs, how to do a tune up, and so on. With the ML's many many people are afraid to DIY on it because of the numerous electronics and if they can't clearly see how such processes are done on their same vehicle, they would rather not tamper with it and send it to the stealership and get robbed. So please lets get some videos up and link it back to the forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
If you have a real, real problem. You will not be able to DIY. Simple as that. Just let that go right now. There are times when the dealer is your friend, so play nice, you may need them :)

It's extremely hard to make a video by yourself, as you work, at the same time. Impossible without a camera man. So that's why you do not see many. You also do not see many, as mechanics just go in. It's relatively all the same.

If were talking maintenance, just dive right in. Things like air filters, brakes, plugs, fluid changes, they have there nuisance in the Benz world but the same principals apply to all cars on those fronts. Increase your mechanically inclined self by watching brake jobs on SL 500's, Porsches, ford's whatever... The 320, 350, 430, 500 engine are not exactly a one off to the ML ;)

Your working with a 14 year old Benz. Your not going to get any more information then already exist. This is a good thing, most can be found in the Sticky :)

This is my fav - from a w210 - same 430 as yours - You will never be able to DIY this ;)

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
What I would advise is maybe finding a cool mechanic. Someone that will let you work on your truck from his shop. It's amazing how much easier things can be with the truck off the ground and access to full range of tools.

I recently put rotors and pads all around, installed a new front bumper cover, fogs, horns, etc...

The only thing that really enabled me to do the work, I have a cool mechanic. Let's me use his shop and when I'm looking at a stuck rotor like a d-bag!!! He come's over and wallops it off with rubber mallet.

:)

Have fun.

( Build that relationship with the stealer and maybe they will read or purge fault codes for free ) Took me 10 years to achieve this feet :)

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
How-to videos are very time-consuming to produce. Don't expect many ML-specific ones to pop up on YouTube.

Most of the DIY stickies are illustrated and that is the most effective way to perform these tasks. You print out the hard-copy instructions and go to work step-by-step. No one expects you to sit through a video and then remember everything you just saw. You don't want to get your iPad greasy.

Your choices are to get more mechanically-inclined by buying some tools and working on your car, or leave it to mechanics. Start with the basics and work from there. Hopefully you'll find it as fun as many of us do.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
I don't think the OP is asking for anything special. I know exactly why he is asking as well. In a video you can point out or show the subtle tricks that make doing a job easy. True for a complicated job you can't absorb all the instructions but it still helps if you have both. Best example i can think of is i overhauled my cd changer. It had to get stripped down to free a jammed gear. The gear was jammed from some nitwit putting two cds in one slot. I could write out instructions but they would be many pages long, a video would cut that down drastically and if the person could figure out the pause button probably never have to touch printed instructions. One doesn't always replace the other but can do wonders to clarify things.

I'm planning on doing a lot of maintenance on my ML 320, basically because I was unable to find out any concrete information when the last maintenance was done. To give an idea what I'm planning to do and video:
front and rear differential fluid change
transfer case fluid change
transmission oil filter pan gasket change with partial fluid change
engine oil and filter change with Seafoam treatment
front ride height adjustment and torsion bar bushing replacement
spark plug change
filter change intake air and cabin air
coolant change
power steering fluid change
brake fluid change.

Thats just the to do list off the top of my head and not including anything that pops up. I did my switches while my camera was in the shop but might redo that as one switch is being annoying and video it this time. There are existing instructions for that but the pictures don't show enough detail.

If you look there are quite a few guys who have changed motor mounts on both v6 and v8s. Is annoying to do but only requires a floor Jack a pair of Jack stands and wrenches. No big deal or anything g different than any other vehicle.

I don't see why not video and post. Every bit of info helps.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly I wasn't asking for anything too big like completely rebuilding the engine, just some small fixes here and there to help enhance the experience and make it easier for people to do small tasks on their vehicles. Sometimes people hand their vehicles over to other to get them fixed when all it requires is a simple and easy fix that can be simply articulated through a video.

I don't think the OP is asking for anything special. I know exactly why he is asking as well. In a video you can point out or show the subtle tricks that make doing a job easy. True for a complicated job you can't absorb all the instructions but it still helps if you have both. Best example i can think of is i overhauled my cd changer. It had to get stripped down to free a jammed gear. The gear was jammed from some nitwit putting two cds in one slot. I could write out instructions but they would be many pages long, a video would cut that down drastically and if the person could figure out the pause button probably never have to touch printed instructions. One doesn't always replace the other but can do wonders to clarify things.

I'm planning on doing a lot of maintenance on my ML 320, basically because I was unable to find out any concrete information when the last maintenance was done. To give an idea what I'm planning to do and video:
front and rear differential fluid change
transfer case fluid change
transmission oil filter pan gasket change with partial fluid change
engine oil and filter change with Seafoam treatment
front ride height adjustment and torsion bar bushing replacement
spark plug change
filter change intake air and cabin air
coolant change
power steering fluid change
brake fluid change.

Thats just the to do list off the top of my head and not including anything that pops up. I did my switches while my camera was in the shop but might redo that as one switch is being annoying and video it this time. There are existing instructions for that but the pictures don't show enough detail.

If you look there are quite a few guys who have changed motor mounts on both v6 and v8s. Is annoying to do but only requires a floor Jack a pair of Jack stands and wrenches. No big deal or anything g different than any other vehicle.

I don't see why not video and post. Every bit of info helps.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Was getting a bit long on previous post ( hey i'm bored sue me) but two real good examples of vids would be as follows.

One is like the crankshaft position sensor replacement. The guy not only showed where it was but what extensions to use and where to get at it easiest when using that but also when just by hand. Good stuff and makes a simple one bolt, one connector part swap a few minute job instead of a few hours.

Or the more annoying type of good video.:) I had a egr error code and was told most of these codes came from the tube. Take it out and clean or replace and you are good to go. Thanks to Mr 43sqd and his library of instructions was all set to go pull the tube. Problem is i had convinced myself it was up front on the engine. Imagine my surprise when a video shows it along the firewall. Was at the point of figuring what would be easier, a chainsaw from the passenger side to get at it, buying an new car, dropping it off to my mechanic. Turns out a good long hard drive cleared it as per advice from same sage gent. Just shows you sometimes a video is so much clearer and doesn't let you misinterpret ( not t hat much anyway)

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
We had a member that did a number of how-to videos. I believe they may be found in one of the DIY stickies at top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts