Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went & bought my wife a new set of rims & snow tires off craigslist & had thought I ensured that they would fit, by the bolt pattern & tire size, but it turns out these came off an Audi A6 & the offset is pretty nasty! They specs on them are as follows...

Tires - 245/40/18
Rims - 18 x 8, 5 x 112 bolt pattern, and the kicker, 55mm offset

I believe our cars have a 35 offset normally & I'm trying to put 245's on the front, when 225's are recommended, so I know I screwed both ways.

What I am wondering is, if I was able to grab a pair of 225/45/18's for the front, do you guys think that would work or is that 55mm really killing me?

Any input would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK55 2003 w209
22 Posts
hey dude, i put 19/235/35 on my car with 44 offset and had to get custom made hubcentric spacers (15mm) on all wheels. The fronts now stick out about 1cm so if u were to going to go ahead with ur new rims ud need 25mm spacers and they will stick out 2cms... not a very good look nad not very safe at all.

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
245 is not the safest width either for a snow tire on a CLK, too much flotation which means a lot of lost traction when steering. The tires will float instead of sinking through to the harder stuff where all the traction is. For winter tires your best bet is the base model size of 205/55/16.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG
16 Posts
I just bought a set of 20x10rear with 50mm offset and 20x9 front with 38mm offset for my clk55, they were off a cls55 amg, I was devastated to find they did not fit hit the caliper and inner guard on the rear, so i went and bought some new rims which had a blank stud pattern and offset and had them specially made to suit, Its the only way to get a perfect fit other than oem stuff which doesnt look that great or are too small in diametre

1 - 4 of 4 Posts