Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear BW friends:

Just wondering if any of you have had success on an ML / w163 of replacing a Front Cat (right) with a universal model.

I see them commonly available.

I'm trying to do this affordably. It's a 2002 ML500 NON-California model.

When my ML was stranded roadside with the Oil Leak we've discussed recently - earlier this week, it was only unattended for 18 hours and some THIEF cut out and STOLE the Right Front Cat and rear o2 Sensor.

So, hoping to learn if this is posslble.

I can find an entire 'right side both cats & pipe' assembly for $ 398 but was hoping to beat that price.

I only need the front, as my rears were already deleted.

Appreciate any help / insight.

David in Texas

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,087 Posts
David here is a question though are cats like tires and springs? If you replace one side should you do the other? If you do just one will there be some unequal back preasure on the other bank?

And as I asked on your other post If you have comprehensive insurance is it covered?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it would seem, yes.

I'm trying to have the attitude displayed by Job in verse 2:10.

I'm much blessed and have troubles still these are light afflictions and only money.

Besides it's fun to wrench on our rigs, right ?

Thanks LORD, for more fun !

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had a quote local exhaust shop wants $325 to install a MagnaFlow 51206 Universal Hi-Flow Cat.

I'll measure it & compare to other side.

He says they use it on late model Chevy trucks with V-8s no problem no CEL issues.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That 51206 Magnaflow is too big for Front cat space available.

But I think I'm onto a solution that's practical & doable:

I still have the 2 rear cats removed from my DW's w210 and they are very close in size & same pipe diameter as the ML's Primary Cats, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Yes they were getting a bit clogged on the w210 but that's as much due to our local driving habits - too much short distance, too little highway.
I'm sure that as the primary Cat on the mighty ML500 V-8 it will clean up quickly !

Nothing to lose, imho. I have a new O2 sensor coming and will have exhaust shop install that same distance back as other side.

Will update here on the results...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have great news to report !

The 'Cat Transplant' (sounds like something PETA would oppose) into our w163 is a total success !
New O2 sensor is in and 'Check Engine' light off immediately thereafter !

I had kept the 'somewhat clogged' rear set of Cats pulled off the wife's w210 wagon last summer.

GOOD THING !

Turns out they're very close in size to a Front (Primary) w163 Catalytic converter - just an inch or so longer - and our exhaust show was fully able to install it on the Passenger side along with the Pipe behind it and an O2 Sensor Bung hole.

I came really close to ordering a '49-state' - Federal Hi Flow Cat like a MagnaFlow but then thought - why not use the secondary MB factory ones off the w210 ?

To look inside they were but 30% blocked, but that was in the Secondary position on her w210 wagon, and now on the ML500 it will be in the Primary position, and will 'blow clean' very rapidly.

And that's just what has happened.

My wife even gave me a 'high five' for this recycling parts idea.

This is to compensate for the THIEF who STOLE our Right side Front Cat & rear 02 Sensor just last week in Arkansas after I had a sudden loss of oil pressure - parked ML for just 18 hours beside I-30.

I'm not angry anymore about it.

I pray that the guy who's that desperate gets caught & gets help - from God alone who can fix all that humanity messes up.

Stealing parts off of disabled cars roadside is NOT an upward path, if you follow !

If I had more time I'd put up a thread on this potential solution.

If you think of it, any similar MB with unmonitored Secondary cats could be seen as having it's own 'spares' if either of the 2 Primary ones go bad - or 'get stolen', lol.....

Cheers - David in Teas

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,370 Posts
Ha! awesome David.
Re-purposing the secondary cats on the w210 to primary's on the w163.
Chalk up one for PETA and one to you. ?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys, it feels good:

Costs: Converter - Free
O2 Sensor - $52
Exhaust shop welding labor $ 175
"Monkey" handed son to screw in sensor $ 10

Total: $237

Plus, I still have another spare one.

David

·
Registered
2002 ml55
221 Posts
I would say you went above and beyond on that one.... and... you cleared up space in the garage ! that's a win all around. If someone is going to chop out an 02 sensor on a car from the side of the road.... he must have been REALLY desperate .... so..... lets just assume that plus 100% crazy....

maybe it was "ordained" to happen ? ;)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would say you went above and beyond on that one.... and... you cleared up space in the garage ! that's a win all around. If someone is going to chop out an 02 sensor on a car from the side of the road.... he must have been REALLY desperate .... so..... lets just assume that plus 100% crazy....

maybe it was "ordained" to happen ? ;)
AMGDVI,

Yeah it's a good 'recycling' project - clean the garage - fix the car - and now all the engine lights are gone. It did take about a week for the new Catalytic to blow perfectly clean & the pair of o2 sensors to 'sync' but now they have. MPG is up a bit too maybe 1-1.5 mpg.

I'm not mad just mystified but grateful.

The LORD kept the ML safe otherwise - not stolen, no broken windows. And kept US safe - I had my 15 year old daughter with me and to have the ML quit (oil leak) on the side of the I-30 just S of Little Rock - it was the busiest piece of highway I've ever been stranded on: both lanes full of Semi's going 75 and we were just over the crest of a hill, maybe 4 feet from that traffic.

I thought, this is how people get killed on the roadside !

Upon retrieving the ML & loading on u-haul trailer the super cool Arkansas Trooper lit up the scene to slow traffic & allow us some space - yet still traffic was scary but doable.

Cheers - David in Texas

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
725 Posts
Well the good part is you and your family made it home safe.. Also I caught a "Scotty" video that said "Its gotten so bad with CUT AND GRAB CAT that (I'm thinking it was Honda) they made a guard plate that you can install to make it harder for the low life to just get in and out in a matter of a minute or two"..

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,636 Posts
So glad it worked out well for you and a good 'teaching moment' for your soon to be driving daughter on how to handle a roadside emergency safely .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts