Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 350SDL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got an '03 S55. it didn't come from the factory with the TPM, though it's listed as a $630 available option on the price list i've got.

i know i can get any one of the three or four aftermarket units on the market (for well less than $630 installed), but i'm wondering if there's a way to retrofit the factory module.

any info appreciated.

tia,
doody.

·
Registered
2015 ML350/2013 SL63
562 Posts
My '04 Infiniti G35 has it, but there's no way of telling that you have it...

You don't see any buttons or anything. The only thing it does is that it alerts you when your pressure is low. I'm guess that's how the S55 is too.

Chris

P.S - What part of Boston are you from?

·
Registered
1991 350SDL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are no buttons or anything on the W220 TPM system. it just shows up as one of the th...

there are no buttons or anything on the W220 TPM system. it just shows up as one of the things you scroll through in the instrument cluster display. that's why i'm hoping it's retrofittable - it shouldn't be anything magical, though we all know those are famous last words.

i'm out in the metrowest area.

doody.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: there are no buttons or anything on the W220 TPM system. it just shows up as one of th

there are no buttons or anything on the W220 TPM system. it just shows up as one of the things you scroll through in the instrument cluster display. that's why i'm hoping it's retrofittable - it shouldn't be anything magical, though we all know those are famous last words.

i'm out in the metrowest area.

doody.
Yes, it is retrofittable; no, it would not be cheap.

The TPM module just hooks into the CAN and thus the instrument cluster has access. The IC must also be activated to display the TPM information.

That's the easy part.

Then, the wiring harness must be run (throughout the car). I have to look it up, but I believe there are dedicated wires to the sensors at each tire, and this wiring is not fitted to cars which did not come with the TPM. Finally, the sensors and receivers must be fitted.

-s-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts