Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 1981 Mercedes 380SLC, 1980 Mercedes 380SL, 1981 Porsche 911, 1995 BMW 740iL,etc
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this has been covered... but, I could not find the topic :( Can the Windshield Washer Tank and Heating Coil Setup be Completely Deleted from the system. I honestly do not need it and will never use it. Hope someone has felt the same and done this before! :)

·
Registered
97 SL600 Pano, ex: 96 (late 95) SL320
259 Posts
Of course it can be removed, why couldn't it? I'm struggling to see why anyone would go through the trouble though. Not a lot of weight to be lost there.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 1981 Mercedes 380SLC, 1980 Mercedes 380SL, 1981 Porsche 911, 1995 BMW 740iL,etc
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course it can be removed, why couldn't it? I'm struggling to see why anyone would go through the trouble though. Not a lot of weight to be lost there.
Weight is not a factor at all. I see the design as a weak point in the car. The potential of coolant and windshield washer fluid to mix is something I can live without. I'm inquiring to see if anyone has done this and what is a easy / clever way of doing this. Please chime in if you have done this or also considered it :)
*Note - if this is seen as not a weak point, please let me know :)

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,000 Posts
The washer fluid is heated by the coolant.
So if you are worrying about mixing due to potential leak and don't really need heated washer fluid, just cap off the coolant hoses and you will still have washer fluid to use to clean your windshield.

Edit : Instead of capping off the coolant hoses, shunt it to bypass the washer tank so that the coolant will still be flowing to where ever it was suppose to go.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've never heard of the fluids getting mixed, and the heater inside the reservoir is pretty robust, but as RKH said, it should be no problem to bypass the heater. What I would do is trace the two coolant hoses to the pipes they connect to at the other end, and just loop the pipes together with a short hose.

By the way, I remember reading that the heater was not installed on cars that were delivered to hot countries.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for all of your replies. I will spend some time tracking down where the hoses come from and where they go so I can figure out how to eliminate the coolant from entering into the washer fluid reservoir. Since I will never use this feature, I prefer not to have it setup this way. I sure do love driving this car !!!

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
550 Posts
By the way, I remember reading that the heater was not installed on cars that were delivered to hot countries.
I'm not sure what regions that would be, perhaps equator?

California can be Hot as Hell and temperature never gets below freezing (at sea level) but… car is meant to travel so freezing is never too far away…

Anyway, I have the heater on my car and (as the car ages) it also makes me nervous. I see this as a weak point of the cooling system. Something to keep an eye on.

I don't have a problem with it yet but… I think windshield washer heater is an engineering "overkill"… not really necessary in any climate.

By-pass may be the best preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm not sure what regions that would be, perhaps equator?

California can be Hot as Hell and temperature never gets below freezing (at sea level) but… car is meant to travel so freezing is never too far away…
At least Middle East, as I recall. As you say, in the US it's pretty likely that a car sees all kinds of temperatures during its lifetime, but in some other places, not so much.

But yeah, as you say, it seems overkill to me too. It's not like it's cold in the engine compartment anyway, and the nozzles are heated separately.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,562 Posts
Such an awesome feature, I wish my old girls had it. British delivered cars of my type didn't come with it. American delivery cars did I think, probably because of North America I suppose.

Do all R129 have it? I would think it assists with bug cleaning even in the summer.

There have been times in -12c that the nice heated nozzles are not quite enough, in my W126. Pretty scary when out on a snowy highway.

·
Registered
Vogon constructor fleet.
9,256 Posts
Anyway, I have the heater on my car and (as the car ages) it also makes me nervous. I see this as a weak point of the cooling system. Something to keep an eye on.

By-pass may be the best preventive maintenance.
Though I'm in the Midwest for the time being anyway, I've got two Southwestern cars ('95 SL320/LA & '94 S500/Vegas) that have NEVER been driven in temps below freezing. I don't see the point of having heated windshield wiper fluid either but I'd be more likely to bypass the system than remove it. Should I ever opt to sell the cars (unlikely but who knows), the next owner may want them to still be completely "original."

Now that you guys brought it up, I think bypassing the heaters may be my next project.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Though I'm in the Midwest for the time being anyway, I've got two Southwestern cars ('95 SL320/LA & '94 S500/Vegas) that have NEVER been driven in temps below freezing. I don't see the point of having heated windshield wiper fluid either but I'd be more likely to bypass the system than remove it. Should I ever opt to sell the cars (unlikely but who knows), the next owner may want them to still be completely "original."

Now that you guys brought it up, I think bypassing the heaters may be my next project.
Hi Doni,
This is exactly what I am going to do and exactly for that reason. However, I am in a stage of life where I don't need the 15+ cars that I have enjoyed for decades. I'm going to trim down the stable to 4 hopefully and the R129 will be one to keep! :)

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
550 Posts
Well, so much for preventive maintenance, I waited too long… Emergency Surgery was needed.

I noticed oily residue on my windshield and washer nozzles clogging… inside the washer reservoir, fluid color turned from green (washer) to blueish (coolant).

Got the heater out, looped supply pipes with new hose and DONE.

This thing probably just needs new O-rings at the thermostat valve but… I'm not putting it back in. Not worth the headache it can potentially cause and most likely will… I think it's just the matter of time before it leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 W124 E420 - 1999 W210 E55 AMG
127 Posts
Always having the washer fluid heated makes the bottle get brittle and crack over time. The number of R129 parts NLA from Mercedes grows so its good reason to remove the coil and make the bottle last longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts