101 Posts
See my post here
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1204190&posts=5&fid=18
William
2003 E320

·
Registered
233 Posts
To the question how to change air filters?

Unsnap the air snouts on each side of the radiator but leaving them secured to the air box. Then gently pull the black front cover on top of the engine up as it just pressure snaps into place accross the back and one snap underneath in the front. Next there is four pressure fit clips onto rubber holders two in the front and two in the back to remove the whole air box. Turn the air box upside down and remove about 10 hex headed screws to gain access to the air filters. Reverse procedure to re-assemble.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pictures of air filter 2003 E 320 (W211)

I got around to taking pictures. I am glad I did take out the filters. I was able to clean out the dead bug collection I had in there as well as knock a lot of dust and sand out of the filters. If you decide to put in an aftermarket filter that MB does not approve of, just remember you are giving Mercedes the perfect excuse to deny a warranty claim.
William
2003 E320

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Air filter 2003 E 320 W211

Forgot to mention some details. For me, it was easiest to pull up on one side firmly, then pop out the other sized. Remember to remove the air snorkels first and notice their orientation; they are side specific. I also removed the oil cap.

That big black plastic thing that sits on the engine is just press clipped in there. Each air filter is helded in a box by 4 screws (Torx T-25 head). This is for the V6 E320.
William
2003 E 320

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want to learn to change the air filter of your car you’ll have to dig a lot on the internet. If you’re changing the air filter on your own then you’ll have to be 100% sure how to do it because doing it wrong can harm your car. So learn before doing anything to your vehicle. If you want to learn right now you can go here "How to change the air filter" and learn the right way of doing it.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,529 Posts
Here is something a bit more visually descriptive than a general article on a parts dealer's page.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,529 Posts
All those screws to change the air cleaner elements, but they are good for up to 50k miles so for me it is only once every 2 year project because the foam rubber seal can crack in my climate. Otherwise they would last 4 years seeing as I only put 10k miles per year on the E500.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts