Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter's getting rebuild, so i decided to bump start the 411 today and continue working.

So we dragged it with the Range Rover and popped it in 4th gear, but it refused to fire up. The battery was not connected but i don't see why it would matter being a diesel.

I know diesel burns rather than explodes and they don't have a spark plugs like gas engines, which needs battery voltage, So i'm a little stumped about why it did not fire.

The starter will be ready tomorrow, so i'm not to worried, just curious about understanding why it did not fire up.

Any idea's

·
Registered
121 Posts
Assuming you were getting fuel, which it sounds like it probably was, I would say that perhaps you were not able to generate enough cranking speed to fire it up.

·
Registered
LAND ROVER 90 / DISCOVERY BOTH FITTED WITH TWEEKED PERKINS PRIMA ENGINES UNIMOG 404
121 Posts
glow plugs

the 363 is more of a low conpretion engine conpaired to atruck engine so requies the heater plugs working to start from cold just put a battery feed to the plugs and then it should start hope this helps you .

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
yep ya got to get combustion temps up somehow to get that puppy started.

Activated glow plugs is best bet, other maybeeeee work options are heat gun/blow dryer the crap out of the engine.... push hot air into the carb.... hmmmm..... but that would take one hellll of a long extension cord to push hot air into carb while pulling it to jump start it LOL

·
Registered
LAND ROVER 90 / DISCOVERY BOTH FITTED WITH TWEEKED PERKINS PRIMA ENGINES UNIMOG 404
121 Posts

thers always the blow torch into the intake. just dont set the wiring alight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume it was getting fuel to, I had the throttle full open which i find helps to get it going, most of the time when cranking over with starter. Maybe not ideal when pull starting.

On lookers said it puffed blue smoke for about 30 feet and then stopped, whatever that means.

Heat gun/hair dryer/extension cord, I can see Mr.Bean trying to pull that one off LOL

It really was quit warm out that day, probably around 10 celcius, not really cold out, but i guess the charged air was cold enough not to fire.

Once the engine is warm the charge air does not seem to matter, fires right away, it's just that initial first fire up.
This 411 is equipped with a coolant heater/circulator, for winter, but i did not realize the importance of warm charge air entering engine to fire.

I like the blow torch idea, I'll have to leave a little propane one in the truck

Sounds like the easiest combination is Glow plugs and parking on a medium slope, or installing a hand crank starter Like my brothers Triumph TR3 LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
1968 unimog 404
38 Posts
I know nothing about this engine, but does it have an electric fuel shut off on the injection pump, or an electronic lift pump?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts