Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure I've got it hooked up right. When I measure with my vacuum gauge, I get a full signal (~12 in Hg) when the switch is set on the 0 setting, and no vacuum signal when the switch is set to 3, with corresponding measurements in between for the 1 and 2 settings.

Intuitively, this seems backwards. I've reversed the vacuum hose connections to see if I had it hooked up backwards and got no vacuum signal at all on any setting.

So is the 0 setting supposed to be the setting where the beams are being pulled down by the vacuum pod the most? I would think that the most vacuum would be applied to the headlights on the 3 setting.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
The switch bleeds vacuum, so "0" would give you the most while 1-3 would give you decreasing levels of vacuum depending on what level you've selected.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if you want your headlights to remain in the default position (i.e. not adjusted), you would leave the switch on 3?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Here are the instructions,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the pic MBZ300CD. I figured out why I thought it was backwards. The vacuum pod in the headlight assembly actually tilts the reflector upwards, while I thought it was the opposite. Everything is clear now, thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quick question:

My headlight adjuster is broken (both vacuum lines have broken off). Would it work as a temporary fix if i just connect them to a vacuum source from the manifold? (I can't see much at night, as the headlights are pointing up.)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
If you connect them directly to the manifold, the lights would go up and down. Normally the lights are connected to a vacuum tank. What you can do is connect the two vacuum lines to the switch to each other. This bypasses the switch and should have the lights staying up, although they might shine a bit higher, because the vacuum with the switch at 0 is slightly less than the manifold vacuum.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for the advice Govert; will try it later.

Where can I find a vacuum circuit diagram for these headlights? I have a vacuum line that I have no idea where it's supposed to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts