Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
The reliable Mercedes diesel engine is proven to outlast all others! The first Mercedes diesel passenger car rolled off the production line in 1936.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
But that was the past. They're over that now. The cars they've sold more recently, like last week, have been basically trouble free. I don't know why people keep dredging up ancient history.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
No wonder the top winners have plain simple cars, with basic technology, and zero features.

Japs; household on wheels.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,662 Posts
But that was the past. They're over that now. The cars they've sold more recently, like last week, have been basically trouble free. I don't know why people keep dredging up ancient history.
Trouble-free? My dad's 2005 C270 started giving engine problems after a mere 12000 km of considerate driving. By comparison, his 1982 300D has only had brake pads replaced after 25 years and 340 000 km (apart from regular oil, and filter replacement, of course). In fact, it's just about finally run in.

I myself will hold on to my second-hand older Merc for as long as I can, and NOT buy a new Merc as long as their build quality is iffy, their engines fragile (and expensive to perform routine maintenance on), and I don't have the option of a manual gearbox on my choice of engine. If they can't build a manual gearbox, get one from a company who can. Sorry to all new Merc fans, but it's my money...

I agree with elbeik as well: KISS - keep it simple. the average motorist doesn't NEED a sun roof, electric windows, electric seats, electric sunroof, etc. They need a relaible car. These other features are nice-to-have's, and I would gladly specify my car without all these things that only add weight and cost without value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts