Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Kenwood Excelon KDC X590 HU. I hate the fact that I can't really turn up my system past 25 without getting distortion. Plus it just doesn't seem it's as clear as it could be. I want to get some new speakers but the all seem to be 4 ohm. From what I personally know I'd have to rewire the whole car to bypass the Bose amp to run 4 ohm speakers. So the question again is, can I run 4 ohm speakers with what i currently have without having to rewire the whole friggin car?

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
johnmajor said:
I currently have a Kenwood Excelon KDC X590 HU. I hate the fact that I can't really turn up my system past 25 without getting distortion. Plus it just doesn't seem it's as clear as it could be. I want to get some new speakers but the all seem to be 4 ohm. From what I personally know I'd have to rewire the whole car to bypass the Bose amp to run 4 ohm speakers. So the question again is, can I run 4 ohm speakers with what i currently have without having to rewire the whole friggin car?
you can hook up new 4 ohm speakers to the bose amp but they will not sound good, the equalization will be off, and they will be very quiet. (bose speakers are 1 or 2 ohms so the overall output will be 1/2 to 1/4 as loud.

really the bose speakers/amp are a matched set. if you decide to go with new speakers you will either want to wire them directly to the radio or use an aftermarket amplifier. the question i have is how you have things hooked up right now... what vehicle to you have and which bose system... normally you should be able to interface with the existing system and have things sound very good unless you are trying to listen at a volume that is above what the stock system can produce.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rob13572468 said:
you can hook up new 4 ohm speakers to the bose amp but they will not sound good, the equalization will be off, and they will be very quiet. (bose speakers are 1 or 2 ohms so the overall output will be 1/2 to 1/4 as loud.

really the bose speakers/amp are a matched set. if you decide to go with new speakers you will either want to wire them directly to the radio or use an aftermarket amplifier. the question i have is how you have things hooked up right now... what vehicle to you have and which bose system... normally you should be able to interface with the existing system and have things sound very good unless you are trying to listen at a volume that is above what the stock system can produce.
Thank you so much for your response. I currently have my aftermarket HU wired up with the volkswagen harness kit I got from Crutchfield. I am running the wires at speaker level. I keep hearing that I should run them to the RCA outputs in the back. Is there a particular reason or what difference would it make to run it this way? And if so, how would I do that? What wire goes to the negative and vice versa from the RCA plugs?

I'm sorry, I have a 99 E320. I did find some Infinity Reference 5022I speakers that are 2 ohm. I bought a pair of those and will be installing them once they get here. Will give feedback on how they sound. I do however want to be able to turn my music up a bit louder due to the loss of sound at road speed. But like i said earlier, it distorts when I go past 25.:dunno:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need a device like The peripheral SVEN4 or Soundgate OEM4
these devices act as a high to low interface between the aftermarket speaker output and the inputs to your stock amp. try this first 50-60 for the part. It will allow you much more volume before the distortion starts. you are running such a high level into the amps that you are starting to clip the amp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts