Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello <p>Up here in Canada they are charging 700.00 for<br>a cd changer..<p>I already own a ALpine changer and am wondering if they make an adapter???<p>Please help...<p>Thanks<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No they won't work. MB uses fiber optic cables.

You can buy the changer at a really good price from www.AutoClass.net.<p>Frank

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Option 1 - Get the MB player Option 2 - Replace the head unit and lose the integrated controls

I called Crutchfield to ask about the same thing. MB's use of fiber optic cabling rules out most aftermarket options.<p>Unless you don't care about the steering wheel controls and speed sensitive volume, you can replace the entire unit. If you've not yet bought your car, you can try to negotiate the deal to include the CD player. Some have had sucess with that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Questions about replacing the factory head unit

Thanks in advance for any help:<br>1) Is the fiber optic only used for control, i.e. to interface to the steering wheel controls etc.<br>2) Does the unit also use fiber optic to the external amplifier? Of is that standard RCA jacks?<br>3) I would like to remove the entire stereo system and put in my own indash CD, amps, speakers, and subs.<br>- any idea if removing the head unit would affect the fiber optic system?<br>- would I need to terminate the ends of the fiber optic cables that will be left dangling???<p>John<p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Questions about replacing the factory head unit

Thanks in advance for any help:<p>1) Is the fiber optic only used for control, i.e. to interface to the steering wheel controls etc.<p>*No. The whole system, from the phone to the changer uses fiber optics. Fully digital data transit from the changer itself to the head unit, disregarding any need for an digital-to-analog converter and vice versa. No more of the "1-Bit DAC" or "8-bit DAC" stuff. This provides the clearest CD quality for those who can hear up to 20KHz and down to 20Hz.<p>2) Does the unit also use fiber optic to the external amplifier? Of is that standard RCA jacks?<p>* No RCA jacks. The amp should be located at the left side of the trunk. It's a mix of fiber optic cables and speaker wires. You can however tap to the speaker wires and use a high-low converter and the like as this is the only portion that's not fiber optic.<p>3) I would like to remove the entire stereo system and put in my own indash CD, amps, speakers, and subs.<p>- any idea if removing the head unit would affect the fiber optic system?<br>- would I need to terminate the ends of the fiber optic cables that will be left dangling???<p>I only know of one person who has done this. He is on another forum but the set up is the same Fiber optic everywhere.<p>Here's the thread to his post :<br><a href="http://216.122.199.143/forums/R170/vthread.asp?messid=7529">Stero Answers at SLK Forum</a><p>Frank<br>[email protected]<br>John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Questions about replacing the factory head unit

All these features tie into the fiber optic system.<br>Maintain sequence of fiber optic connections. <br> Radio<br> Sound System<br> Voice Recognition<br> Phone<br> CD Changer<br>Ignore missing components and connect to next item. <br>The steering wheel controls and display in the instrument cluster connect via CAN-bus to the radio.<p><p>: Thanks in advance for any help:<p>1) Is the fiber optic only used for control, i.e. to interface to the steering wheel controls etc.<p>*No. The whole system, from the phone to the changer uses fiber optics. Fully digital data transit from the changer itself to the head unit, disregarding any need for an digital-to-analog converter and vice versa. No more of the "1-Bit DAC" or "8-bit DAC" stuff. This provides the clearest CD quality for those who can hear up to 20KHz and down to 20Hz.<p>2) Does the unit also use fiber optic to the external amplifier? Of is that standard RCA jacks?<p>* No RCA jacks. The amp should be located at the left side of the trunk. It's a mix of fiber optic cables and speaker wires. You can however tap to the speaker wires and use a high-low converter and the like as this is the only portion that's not fiber optic.<p>3) I would like to remove the entire stereo system and put in my own indash CD, amps, speakers, and subs.<p>- any idea if removing the head unit would affect the fiber optic system?<br>- would I need to terminate the ends of the fiber optic cables that will be left dangling???<p>I only know of one person who has done this. He is on another forum but the set up is the same Fiber optic everywhere.<p>Here's the thread to his post :<br><a href="http://216.122.199.143/forums/R170/vthread.asp?messid=7529">Stero Answers at SLK Forum</a><p>Frank<br>[email protected]<br>John<p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts