Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a Mercedes 300E, 1987 year model.
I have 2 questions: Is this an overall reliable car and will it give relatively trouble free service. (Generally speaking) I am going to have it checked out by a mechanic. The car has a 153,000 miles on it.

Second there is a light on the dash that looks like a radiator what does this mean? It stays on. Any ideas before I take it in to the mechanic?

Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
Well first of all, 1987 300E with 153,000 miles on it is decent. Just make sure that the service and maintenance has done on time with regular basis.
There is a little book that signed by mechanics or dealerships prove that services and maintenances done properly.
Mercedes-Benz runs forever as far as all the services and maintenance has done properly.

And I hope mechanic who specializes in Mercedes-Benz or at least German (European) vehicle.

There are several reasons why that light on.
So, please post this thread on W124 E,CE,D,TD Class.
You will get better answers.

Hope you get it soon and enjoy being in STAR![:)]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The six-cylinder engine is one of MB’s best – it’s very easy to work on and runs forever if cared for. Check the front-end of the engine for leaks and black smoke at start up and under heavy acceleration. MBs of this era are exceptionally well made and reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I personally have a 87 300e i bought with a 147000 miles on it and it now has 250000 miles on it i have had very little trouble, one thing was the rear arm bushings were worn and had to be replaced, i have had some trouble getting ac to cool properly, but other than general maintance it has been a good car, the radiator light could simply be low on radiator coolant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts