Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as many know i been struggling with vacuum problems; mainly climate. I have upgrade my evil servo to digital; still having problems. Have no heat at all but also have a leak in the defroster element.
Can i just eliminate it because i am having hard time finding the part (it is for 1979 and later models have different turn connection where mine have lock nuts).
any suggestions...

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
Well, any failure or vacuum leak in the climate control system makes the defroster the default.

All of the vents except the defroster require vacuum to OPEN. The defroster requires vacuum to CLOSE. So if you have no vacuum present, you'll have only the defroster. This is a safety item built into most climate control systems by most manufacturers.

So if you delete the control for the defroster, you'll have the defroster all the time. That won't be very helpful. You'd have to wire it shut or something, then be screwed with a sudden change of weather where you'd find yourself needing air on the glass.

I've read mixed reviews on the 'digital upgrade.' I've heard it eliminates the function of the floor vents (?) That would be totally useless in a cold climate.

To me, on a W123, the only upgrade is to dismantle everything, remove the dash, remove the heater box, and install the system from a W123 with manual controls, such as a 240D. Then everything just always works.

It's time consuming, but not overly difficult. If you have plans to keep the car for a long time, it'll be the only permanent solution to a problem that's going to haunt you forever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, i already have installed the digital upgrade. I did look into installing the 240 climate manual system; but me having not that much experience working on 240's or 300's and with no help...i thought digital may make more sense for me. If i had some local help, i would surely install the 240 manual cooling system.
Anyways, no junk yard close by has the 81 or below w123 and can't seem to find the part online. Kind of tough situation since i have all the dash board out. Anyways, thanks for the response....

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
have you tried to get tech support for the servo replacement you installed? also, do you have the vacuum tool for finding a leak? that's where i would start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts