Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Just had the misfortune of breaking a timing chain guide on my 79 350SL (UK model) causing timing to jump and destroy my engine. I've found a reconditioned similar year 450SL engine/trans & ecu. Same injection system. Is this a straight replacement or are the mods required? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,227 Posts
Well it will be a lot easier than doing this::) I think if you get all the engine wiring harnesses it should drop right in. There may be a few gotchas like the engine stand off mounts might be different. All the bell cranks for the throttle might be different. Trick is to get as much as you can.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
Shouldn't be too difficult. May need exhaust headers too. Compare parts of the two using the EPC. ECU?

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,875 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear that - horrible! Were there any warning signs or did it just give up? Did you replace it at any time? What's the mileage on the car? I've a 1979 450SL if you need any pics of the engine for comparison take a look here 1979 Mercedes 450SL Restoration

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks the same as your pics! Thanks!
No real signs. Hadn’t started for a while, started rattled, clunk, misfire then dead. Pulled the rocker and 1” had broken off the guide. Timing out a fair way too. 120,000 kms on engine.

Started atripping it down tonight. Hopefully it comes out without too much issues. Plan on soaking all bolts & nuts on exhaust tomorrow before attempting removal.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,875 Posts
Shoot, I feel the pain!

Re exhaust manifolds, soak them plenty and let them sit for at least a day - I took of mine last year and a stud on either side broke off which wasn't fun! While you're taking out the engine you don't need to care about your engine block, but breaking one of the rear studs may prevent you from removing the manifold and then you may find it hard to get the engine out with the manifolds attached.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts