Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1996 sl500
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been causing me problems lately. I don't feel like buying the coil over conversion, because I don't have that kind of money right now. So is it possible to drive without the airmatic?

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
903 Posts
It's been causing me problems lately. I don't feel like buying the coil over conversion, because I don't have that kind of money right now. So is it possible to drive without the airmatic?
Don't think you will be able to drive a car sitting on the wheels.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,809 Posts
As everyone has said , no you cannot disable it

But what is your problem with it, is it just stiff or is it dropping ?
The car will drop so low if the system leaks it will not be drivable

But sometime the system fails in a stiff raised position . You can drive it like that but it will be very uncomfortable

·
Registered
S280 ,another s280,turbo 500 SEL bountyhunter beachbuggy,59 ford pop,vito
236 Posts
No mercedes failed when they made the wheelarch edges out of tinfoil or something
The car owes me £500 ish now so i can live with the chrome arches but not the too low suspension which is doing my head in as it should all work as it has no leaks and pump etc is strong and doesnt have to run forever to get up too height and doesnt drop overnight ,it just sits level all round but 3 inches too low !!!!
I take it if i end up scrapping the car you wont be wanting the arches then :grin

·
Registered
2006 S65 AMG V12 Biturbo
450 Posts
No mercedes failed when they made the wheelarch edges out of tinfoil or something
The car owes me £500 ish now so i can live with the chrome arches but not the too low suspension which is doing my head in as it should all work as it has no leaks and pump etc is strong and doesnt have to run forever to get up too height and doesnt drop overnight ,it just sits level all round but 3 inches too low !!!!
I take it if i end up scrapping the car you wont be wanting the arches then :grin
disconnect one side of the links that connect the suspension to the sensor.. then see if you can the car to raise up by moving the arm on the sensor....

·
Registered
92 300CE/1996 mustang cobra (supercharged)/12 Civic/15 F150/04 F150 mud truck
8,105 Posts
Airmatic question

could one of the shocks be leaking ?

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,809 Posts
You’ll probably damage the front fenders , Perhaps crack the oil pan and destroy the engine beyond repair .

you can’t be cheap with these cars

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,550 Posts
Has the car ever driven at the proper ride height?

Does the car ever pump up to the correct ride height?

Has a prior owner (or you) put lowering links on the system?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts