Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I connect to Merc’s BT handsfree & a 3rd party BT music device at the same time?

Hi! Anyone has experience of using Bluetooth music adaptor for Media Interface while connecting to the Mercedes’ original Bluetooth handsfree at the same time using the same phone?

I am interested in buying the ViseeO Tune2Air WMA1000 Bluetooth wireless music adaptor which claims to be working with any in-car iPod connections such as Mercedes’ Media Interface. It claims it will just work like a normal Media Interface with iPod connection except it is wireless and I don’t need to have my iPhone actually attached to the Media Interface or buy an extra iPod which I don’t really use often since I only use iPhone to listen to music and perform all my other tasks. As described, once connected it will allows me to display the entire music, browse the music list on the NTG screen, I can also see the song info, and control the music from the radio buttons and steering wheel which sounds interesting as I have not come across any other product on the market that allows a wireless display of iPod library.

However, I use Mercedes’ Bluetooth handsfree a lot so I was wondering if I would be able to connect to my current in-car Bluetooth handsfree while connecting to Tune2Air adaptor at the same time? The webpage info seems to say ok but as I know Bluetooth is 1 to 1 connection isn’t it? Has anyone got idea? Would really appreciate if anyone can help me out here. Cheers! :thumbsup:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
I don't own the MB Media Interface setup or the adapter, so I cannot answer definitively - but here is my guess, based on reading about the device (one source is amazon, Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Cell Phones & Accessories)

With most MB systems, and certainly with the Dension Gateway 500 iPod setup I have, one must select a music input. The phone can be paired and selected entirely separately, and the head unit accomplishes an automatic changeover to receive or place a call - restoring music when the call is completed.

williamhop102 is correct - Bluetooth is a 1 to 1 connection - phones won't pair simultaneously with multiple devices. If one were to pair a phone with an A2DP Bluetooth device, both the music and voice features of the phone would work through the device. The conflict would arise if the phone paired first with the car's OE Bluetooth dongle (puck). It would not then also pair with the car's phone system dongle.

The solution? Most likely, break the pairing between the phone and the car's Bluetooth dongle. Pair it with the A2DP dongle such as the Tune2Air. My bet is, you can at least get voice on phone calls; I don't know if you will get the full (or any) screen display for the phone features, and I am certain you will lose voice control of the phone from the MB system (if you have it). But it is likely one can play music and accomplish at least some calling features.

However, one will still get the best audio quality for music by plugging the phone into the iPod connector, and keeping it paired with the car's dongle for full phone features.

If anyone knows better, we'd like to hear from you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

New member here. This topic is very interesting to me as well. I'm a current BMW owner who is considering my first MB purchase. Currently with my 2011 5 series, I can connect both my phone and another device at the same time(ipod/ipad) to wirelessly stream music. I understand current models don't have this option but I'm curious if anyone here can tell me if the new 2014 redesign of the E Class will? i guess I've gotten spoiled as other test drives of other models don"t have this option either. The salesman at my local dealership can"t tell me if it will or not.

Many thanks in advance!

Dave in Raleigh

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I purchased a Viseeo Tune2Air recently and installed it on my '08 ML.

The ML has the iPod cable in the glovebox and a BT module for the telephone in the armrest between the front seats.

The Tune2Air plugged into the iPod cable and works as advertised. I have connections to the BT telephone puck as well as connection to the iPod portion of my iPhone. Both work.

Music from the iPhone will play through the car and will mute when a call is placed or received. The music is not paused, just muted.
Have also been able to use a navigation app on the phone and the voice comes through the car. (We are a little underwhelmed by the built-in navigation having recently had a Ford Edge with Sync, but it might just be a learning curve thing. The input aspect seems clunky and from what I've read on Mbrace it too can be problematic.)

Anyhoo,
The iPod shows up in the dash menu and the steering wheel buttons control it as expected.

In order to pair the phone to work with both devices I found it necessary to remove the telephone BT connection from the iPhone and first pair to the Tune2Air. Once that was done, I turned the radio off and removed the Tune2Air device. Paired the phone with the BT phone. Turned the car off, reinstalled the Tune2Air and powered the car and radio on. Both BT connections worked at that point.

The setup seems a little touchy if you introduce a second iPhone. In my case I initially experimented with my phone, but this is the Mrs car, so after I figured out how it worked I set her phone up to work with car. Now if mine is nearby when the car is turned on it connects to mine and not hers.
Haven't worked though that just yet.
Not a huge issue, but something to be aware of.

Cure, of course, is that I turn my BT feature off if we are traveling together.

Hope this helps.

Skippy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally got one~

Hi guys, I finally got one unit at my hand. It works great, the sound quality is great (though not better than connecting directly to iPod or iPhone) but still good enough for my everyday use and the wireless automatic connection with my phone is just amazing. I can browse the music list from my iPhone wirelessly which is probably the best function of this tiny device. I haven't come across anything like it on the market for this particular function. Initially tune2air wma1000 only supports Apple's devices. After upgrade the software now it is able to stream music from android phone as well. I have test it using my friend's Galaxy S3. However, unlike iPhone, android's music list does not show on the car screen though. I've also test it using Sportify music service which also works with WMA1000 but again does not support music list like the iPhone's iPod app.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
williamhop102
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing