Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
It's also fear of young people who are much smarter and better informed than them ....

When you are ill informed, it's so easy to be triggered over every change around you.
I'm rather more concerned about the current trend for "celebrity activism". That is, people who FLY around the planet sancitmoniously telling the rest of us we should all be driving electric cars (ignoring the fact that much, no most, of our electricity is still being generated by burning fossil fuels of one sort or another), etc etc.

This little girl has been elevated to cult status PRECISELY because she's young and some would say cute (the real definition of cute is actually childishly simple or naive BTW), which is kind of paedophilia in its own way, and I bet mom and dad are cashing in like crazy.

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
Two points of clarification...

1. He's not a moderator of this forum.

2. He didn't accuse "other users" or anyone in particular. It was a general comment about those that want to silence a 12 y.o. because they feel threatened by her.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I wonder if her parents discussed with her that she’d be exposing herself to get put through the Press wringer/dirt-diggers and pretty much giving up her right to sue for slander or libel, for life.
Way too young to understand the possible consequences and make that decision.
Under the law, she is now a “Public figure” and not a “Private citizen”. Anyone (including the Press) can post anything about her, true or false, and she will have little, if any, recourse.
Poor kid.
Short-sighted wingnuts, like most enviro-nazis.

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
For the idiots that talk about things they know nothing about...

Greta Thunberg was born on 3 January 2003 in Stockholm, the daughter of opera singer Malena Ernman and actor Svante Thunberg. Her paternal grandfather is actor and director Olof Thunberg.

Thunberg says she first heard about climate change in 2011, when she was 8 years old, and could not understand why so little was being done about it. Three years later she became depressed and lethargic, stopped talking and eating, and was eventually diagnosed with Asperger syndrome,[15] obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD), and selective mutism. While acknowledging that her diagnosis "has limited me before", she does not view her Asperger's as an illness and has instead called it her "superpower".

For about two years, Thunberg challenged her parents to lower the family's carbon footprint by becoming vegan and giving up flying, which in part meant her mother had to give up her international career as an opera singer. Thunberg credits her parents' eventual response and lifestyle changes with giving her hope and belief that she could make a difference. The family story is recounted in the 2018 book Scenes from the Heart.

In late 2018, Thunberg began the school climate strikes and public speeches for which she has become an internationally recognized climate activist. Her father does not like her missing school, but said: "[We] respect that she wants to make a stand. She can either sit at home and be really unhappy, or protest, and be happy".Thunberg says her teachers are divided in their views about her missing class to make her point. She says: "As people they think what I am doing is good, but as teachers they say I should stop."

Thunberg published a collection of her climate action speeches, No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference, in May 2019 with the earnings being donated to charity. In one of her first speeches demanding climate action, Thunberg described the selective mutism aspect of her condition as meaning she "only speaks when necessary". In 2019, Thunberg also contributed a voiceover for a release of "The 1975", the theme song of an English band by the same name. Thunberg finishes by urging: "So, everyone out there, it is now time for civil disobedience. It is time to rebel." Proceeds will go to Extinction Rebellion at Thunberg's request.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Short-sighted wingnuts, like most enviro-nazis..........

Speaking of "wingnuts",..that is one scary conclusion from you....

Ahhh..so to you environmentalists are nazis....Interesting conclusion from a very well educated and well informed individual...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
As with Kaepernick, you have the right to say what you want but you must also deal with the consequences.
Kaepernick, however, was not a child when he made his decision.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Deflecting what? Just pointing out that this poor kid, noble cause or not, is not being guided wisely by her parents

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The term is harsh, and I certainly didn’t invent it, but I think it accurately distinguishes between legitimate environmentalists and the irrational extremists.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
The term is harsh, and I certainly didn’t invent it, but I think it accurately distinguishes between legitimate environmentalists and the irrational extremists.
Get real. A Nazi, by definition, supports dictatorial, totalitarian government and advocates genocide.

Applying the label to environmental activists (or people wearing MAGA hats) dilutes the meaning.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
..Could it be that the Hummer was in the shop for service...?

..( but I do love Arnie..)

21 - 40 of 67 Posts