Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my car is a e300 turbo diesel, everything says so. So please tell me why people think this engine is a non-turbo.
First registered in the uk in 1996.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,637 Posts
Do the forum search for "badging" or "debadging" and you will find hundreds if not thousands topics :D
Turbo engine is having the air duct going from the filter to the turbo under it and than down under front bumper where the intercooler is and than it is coming up on the manifold side (right side of the picture).
You have crossover piece that goes straight from the filter box to the manifold. See a turbo anywhere?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the forum search for "badging" or "debadging" and you will find hundreds if not thousands topics :D
Turbo engine is having the air duct going from the filter to the turbo under it and than down under front bumper where the intercooler is and than it is coming up on the manifold side (right side of the picture).
You have crossover piece that goes straight from the filter box to the manifold. See a turbo anywhere?
I'm sorry for coming across stupid but I hope you can understand my frustration buying a car that turns out to be something it is not.

This is the listing on ebay, it clearly states TURBO DIESEL in the description.

MERCEDES E300 TD ELEGANCE A BLUE Low RESERVE !!! on eBay (end time 04-Dec-09 16:43:51 GMT)

The listing itself is poor but I bought the car at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It look like mine from the outside.
Is it the same then in the picture you got? Same REG as well?
I think the TD does not stand for turbo diesel. You can always complain to ebay for wrong advertising?
On mine it says turbodiesel, not TD.

·
Registered
35,637 Posts
It is as much turbo as listed "Urban--------29.7mpg" . I know it is imperial gallons, but mine non turbo model had hard time to do 25 in mixed driving.
You could file an ebay claim for misrepresentation and see how well it goes.
Personally it is not the first listing I am watching and it always stunt me why none of English sellers show a picture of the engine bay.
Not even talking about shoddy pictures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is as much turbo as listed "Urban--------29.7mpg" . I know it is imperial gallons, but mine non turbo model had hard time to do 25 in mixed driving.
You could file an ebay claim for misrepresentation and see how well it goes.
Personally it is not the first listing I am watching and it always stunt me why none of English sellers show a picture of the engine bay.
Not even talking about shoddy pictures.
I plan to make something of it. Thing is its still a nice car.But I dont like being lied to.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
In USA, '96-'97 E300 were nonturbo.
In USA, '98-'99 E300 had turbo.
Both engines called OM606, but three more digits define the version

Perhaps the same in UK, especially since traditionally UK didn't get turbos because their mounting conflicted with RHD steering and other hardware.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its a cheap old bus for barely 5 % of its original new cost. Enjoy it for what it is , there wasnt a turbo until 1998. The seller was silly to take the badging as true , and you bid on it without researching it properly IMHO! Happy motoring , hope it works out.

·
Registered
35,637 Posts
Turbo version is much nicer engine, but considering the purchase price it is a bargain anyway.
I still don't understand why English buy a car without taking a look under the hood :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a cheap old bus for barely 5 % of its original new cost. Enjoy it for what it is , there wasnt a turbo until 1998. The seller was silly to take the badging as true , and you bid on it without researching it properly IMHO! Happy motoring , hope it works out.
The research I did do was on the the e class itself. I paid a fair price and love its luxuries and qualities. I couldnt bet on buying a car pretending to be something else.

This will work out.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
7 Participants
e300gk
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing