Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

I need your help on my wife's C180 1996 year. It has been losing coolant water daily yet looking down from the engine I could not where the leak was coming from. I checked all the hoses and they seemed fine. Whilst under the car I noticed a steady drip coming from behind the fan pulley wheel so I took the fan off today and the pulley to get a better look and the coolant I can see is coming directly out of a small tube directly below the pulley casing? ITs almost as of there should be tube connected to this pipe, or a cap thats missing?
One other point to mention, if I do not loosen the radiator cap then the water coolant seems to not drip, if I release the radiator cap then the coolant comes out of the pipe, ?

Can anyone help here?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
'97 C200 Blue
81 Posts
Sounds like the water pump needs to be replaced, seal might have worn. Don't know what the tube is for.
From memory there was a hole in about that position on my old W123's water pump.
Just checked my 97' C200 and couldn't see any pipes going to that spot. Hope that's of some help.

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the water pump needs to be replaced, seal might have worn. Don't know what the tube is for.
From memory there was a hole in about that position on my old W123's water pump.
Just checked my 97' C200 and couldn't see any pipes going to that spot. Hope that's of some help.
Thanks mate for the help, there doesnt seem to be any water coming from the pulley seal, just out of this pipe, I wonder if its a drain hole and there a temp seal inside or something?

·
Registered
'96 C220 n/a diesel
393 Posts
dont know what the pipes for but would defo replace the water pump, GSF at pollockshaws rd's the best place to get 1 mate, chances are that it been modified since then

·
Registered
'96 C220 n/a diesel
393 Posts
after checking the russian site, there is a drain tube listed for the waterpump, its probably goosed on urs mate

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont know what the pipes for but would defo replace the water pump, GSF at pollockshaws rd's the best place to get 1 mate, chances are that it been modified since then
Found out the pipe is called a weeping pipe, and it means the seal us on its way out...
Thanks for the advice on gsf pollockshaws rd, I work inThornliebank so pretty near..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts