Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a clear, hard plastic tube, front half is clear with numbers on it, back side is white frosted. Reminds me of a rain gague, resides behind passenger side of grill. It was quite broken and disconnected when i go the car. At first i thought it was a washer fluid level gague of some sort, im clueless lol.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Washer Fluid Gauge

It is a washer fluid gauge. Very useful, unfortunately, Mercedes discontinued putting this tube on the 1996-1999 W140's. Cutting corners.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am dripping antifreeze out of the overflow hose coming from the collant resivoir. I thought that tube was for washer fluid, but in the condition it was in it was hard to tell. Benzs are kinda, flaky and i wanted to make sure that the tube wasnt some sort of air-coolant seperator similar to the air-oil seperator on a Porsche 928. I suppose the suspect is my coolant cap being faulty. It just drips so hopefully its not a more sinister problem. wish me luck lol

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thr tube is for washer level, but redundant since there is a low washer lamp. I removed mine since it was the second one that cracked. In the later years it was capped at the tank and deleted

·
Registered
199 Posts
Definitely washer fluid level gauge. Mine also broken, became brittle and leaked liked a sieve. Just removed and capped the washer fluid reservoir at bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts