Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got a 2001 C320 Sport and I have been shopping for a new deck to put in the car. I have been shopping for a deck with cd or maybe even navigation. I went to buy an alpine deck this weekend and they said they couldn't do anything with fiberoptic systems. Can anyone help me out and give me an idea of what system i can buy. Please help ...email or IM if you can shed some light.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
healinovatime - 4/26/2005 6:04 AM

Hi,

I just got a 2001 C320 Sport and I have been shopping for a new deck to put in the car. I have been shopping for a deck with cd or maybe even navigation. I went to buy an alpine deck this weekend and they said they couldn't do anything with fiberoptic systems. Can anyone help me out and give me an idea of what system i can buy. Please help ...email or IM if you can shed some light.
It's all or nothing. If you go non-Mercedes then you have to go the whole hog. No mix and match.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4Matic
35 Posts
Find a new sound shop, the fiber optics are only for the steering wheel controls, cd changer and head unit, maybe phone. You can definetly change the head unit only, I did it with the bose system, you just need to have a tech that knows what they are doing. I had it professionally done, they by passed the head units amp. If you are not planning on waking your neighbors this will be more than you need. You will lose the steering wheel controls for the radio, but losing that awfull becker head unit is worth it.[:)]

·
Registered
2001 E320 4Matic
35 Posts
By the way, If you are anywhere in northeast Ohio, western PA, it's worth the drive to Audio Extreme in Youngstown, Ohio. They are awsome, Out of the 15 or so sound shops I went to they are the only shop that makes working on a benz sound system like working on a ford. They are that damn good, Oh and I don't work there. They did my sound system in my old 190 E, my girlfriends C230 and completely overhauled my e320, dvd, nav, tv, hard drive, subs; and I may not be done.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Mayor Bloom - 4/27/2005 4:42 PM

Find a new sound shop, the fiber optics are only for the steering wheel controls, cd changer and head unit, maybe phone. You can definetly change the head unit only, I did it with the bose system, you just need to have a tech that knows what they are doing. I had it professionally done, they by passed the head units amp. If you are not planning on waking your neighbors this will be more than you need. You will lose the steering wheel controls for the radio, but losing that awfull becker head unit is worth it.[:)]
Head unit,
Teleaid
BOSE
CD changer
Phone
Voice control

In some cars,
2nd handset
2nd amp

TV tuner as well.

I can see your point but I dont know why someone would want to lose all those functions.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4Matic
35 Posts
when I had only changed my head unit, teleaide still worked, I no longer have the subscription, but I know it still works, (acidently hit the button while cleaning my car). I am assuming that the person with the original post has the becker tape player, if you had better most don't want to upgrade. If you bypass the headunits amp you are still using the bose system. And I don't have the phone. I don't mean to tread on someone feet but I had it done. I only lost steering wheel control for the radio. For me it was worth it, the mb changer doesn't play burned disks that well. also never had voice control, but I can have that installed in my kenwood head unit, I think its $40 plus install price.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The headunit on a 2001 C class is an Alpine. Many people have swapped in a Becker Audio 10 CD. It is much better than the Alpine. If you bypass the Bose amp on a C class, you do not have Bose. If you change to a non-OEM headunit on a C class, Teleaid will NOT function.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Mayor Bloom - 4/27/2005 5:18 PM

when I had only changed my head unit, teleaide still worked, I no longer have the subscription, but I know it still works, (acidently hit the button while cleaning my car). I am assuming that the person with the original post has the becker tape player, if you had better most don't want to upgrade. If you bypass the headunits amp you are still using the bose system. And I don't have the phone. I don't mean to tread on someone feet but I had it done. I only lost steering wheel control for the radio. For me it was worth it, the mb changer doesn't play burned disks that well. also never had voice control, but I can have that installed in my kenwood head unit, I think its $40 plus install price.
On YOUR CAR ONLY the systems may be basic. On all OTHER cars, such as the 2001 car in the O.P. I am certain it is an issue.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4Matic
35 Posts
I do have a question, I know that there is a difference in 2001 e 320 and c 320 in appearience, but are the audio systems that diffrent. I mean how can one thing be possible on my E320(2001)and My girlfriends C230(2000), yet not be true on a 2001 C Class. Are MBZ that diffrent from year to year and class to class?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Yes, they can be very different from class to class and year to year within a class. The 2005 C's have a completely different audio system and fiber optic system from the 2001 to 2004 C's. Nothing is interchangable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts