Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
11 Mustang Convert,.87 El Camino,09 Avalon Limited,05 GMC Sierra Denali, hunting AMG car.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering 09 e320 with very low miles.have heard stories,but no verification of actual highway mileage.Can any bluetec owners help?Thanks for listening.

· Premium Member
05 500
6,636 Posts
Yes. I have a loaner and I'm very impressed at the MPG. I've had the car since Thursday and it's loaded, including NAV. It had about 3,800 when I took it. I don't recall the city MPG, but today I did a 350 mile trip and the average display indicated MPG was near 36! And I wasn't feathering the thing at all. I came back and took the car to a hideaway with a stretch of highway that cops never visit and did two 27 mile runs mostly between 80 and 90 and 31mpg was the result. I like it. Since I have the car 'till Monday, I'll do some better MPG gaging and report. In fact, I plan to post my xperience later in the week - in one word, impressive.

· Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,921 Posts
Check my "cluster readouts" in general section about 320cdi.
On flat lands in Nebraska I was averaging 49 mpg and 81 mph on 50-mile stretch.
Bluetec has lower ratings, but theory and practice don't always go together.

· Premium Member
05 500
6,636 Posts
Check my "cluster readouts" in general section about 320cdi.
On flat lands in Nebraska I was averaging 49 mpg and 81 mph on 50-mile stretch.
Bluetec has lower ratings, but theory and practice don't always go together.

That's really interesting. During one acceleration spurt to 90, I actually observed the MPG readout gor from mid 30s up to about 42mpg. I dismissed that as a fluke and settled for the average after the two runs. I truly believe these German diesels have a lot to offer. In fact, C&D or R&T's latest issue has a comparo between the Hybrids and the new diesels - yet to read it.

· Registered
1982 380SEC
23 Posts
for all the hype about the hybrids, and electric cars, etc etc ad nauseum, I find it absolutely hysterical that these tiny 1.2L gas motors can't compete with technology that's probably older than just about anyone on this forum. Even the old diesels (i.e. my old W123 240D) got fuel mileage that is comparable to the gas/electric hybrids of today (and that was with 4 adults in the cabin, and 4 50lb suitcases in the boot). We got a verifiable and repeatable 35-40 mpg between Chicagoland and the suburbs of Cleveland OH. Why can't the 'environmentalists' figure out that diesel is an acceptable power source for more than just trucks?

· Registered
37,921 Posts
That's really interesting. During one acceleration spurt to 90, I actually observed the MPG readout gor from mid 30s up to about 42mpg. I dismissed that as a fluke and settled for the average after the two runs. .
I was playing with the readouts on my 2300 miles home after buying the car out of boredom.
We don't know the logic the Germans had programming the option, but I experienced that no matter what -each time I reset the screen it starts at around 40 mpg and takes several miles to stabilize.
Therefore I don't take any readout seriously unless it is min 10-20 miles.
2 miles run at 130 mph show 23.9 mpg. Don't think this is real.

· Registered
223.168 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,471 Posts
I was playing with the readouts on my 2300 miles home after buying the car out of boredom.
We don't know the logic the Germans had programming the option, but I experienced that no matter what -each time I reset the screen it starts at around 40 mpg and takes several miles to stabilize.
I've understood that the fuel consumption is reset to the car's rated fuel mileage (probably the EU combined city/rural rating). Unnecessary in my opinion but probably made to avoid some odd instantaneous readouts.

The later models (204 onwards at least) have a true instantaneous fuel consumption display (a graphical bar presentation). I believe MB has put this in under market pressure and kept it away as it may distract drivers attention too much. I just picked up the new car from Germany and on the way home I saw three rear end collisions at the autobahn, on a less than 100 km stretch, the traffic stops really instantly from 120 km/h or so to full stop, a collision is unavoidable if you don't follow the traffic carefully. (just a generic comment, not intended for Kajtek, he would be familiar with this).

· Registered
37,921 Posts
. (just a generic comment, not intended for Kajtek, he would be familiar with this).

How could I be familiar with it? Never was involved in autobahn accident. But then I passed 200kph only couple of times and usually was conserving fuel driving at 170kph. Had few panic stops on autobahn, but nothing beats old memories from Poland, where driving 130 kph on blind curve you run into horse carriage. ;)
I just bought 2001 Audi. That car has instant mpg and average. While instant is distracting going from 5 mpg to 170 or even (---) when computer shuts off fuel during braking -the measured so far fill ups are right on the money, what beats newer Mercedes.
Now when going downhill in Mercedes with gas off - the reset starts at 40 mpg and takes 3 miles to climb to 99.9 display limit-that's pretty annoying.

· Registered
37,921 Posts
I assumed you had never been involved with an accident, not only autobahn, but I thought you knew the German traffic, even if perhaps some time ago.

German traffic grew to legend in my memory. I drove to Frankfurt several times from secondary highway. The main intersection coming to the city had 2 lanes from my direction where the green light was coming for about 10 second. While the 10 seconds was enough for average 35 Germans to zip trough the lights, never have seen more than 2 Californians to move in that time.
The only memory as strong as this one were drivers in Athens, that starting on green from 5 lanes (including turning lanes) were able to merge at full acceleration into 3 lanes on other side of the lights.
Some things in life you just have to see. Explaining just don't do the justice :D

· Premium Member
05 500
6,636 Posts
That's exactly correct. That's why I tried to accumulate as many miles as possible during my runs. Today I did try city driving and averaged 25 - 37 depending on traffic volume. Still quite impressive compared with my 01 E430 which has never made it past 24 on the highway! I really think that this is a great buy.

· Registered
11 Mustang Convert,.87 El Camino,09 Avalon Limited,05 GMC Sierra Denali, hunting AMG car.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you,Darkmann!!!! This is what I was searching for;real time figures,with no grandstanding.Thanks again for simple,down to earth response to query.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks knewsome.present 320 gas does great,but am purchasing new wheels and have been trying to justify the extra expense of a diesel.you told me what I wanted to know.Thanks again.This is a huge investment for me.

· Registered
95SS(165k) 06CDI(SOLD) 2014 GLK250
396 Posts
i find it hard to beleive you averaged 49 MPG at 80 mph

and every single other 211 e320(2005 2006) cdi that i have reset under highweay driving has reset to 34mpg

40 is possible but only after some time 49 is great if you can get it but just sounds like a strech even more so at 80 mph

· Premium Member
05 500
6,636 Posts
i find it hard to beleive you averaged 49 MPG at 80 mph

and every single other 211 e320(2005 2006) cdi that i have reset under highweay driving has reset to 34mpg

40 is possible but only after some time 49 is great if you can get it but just sounds like a strech even more so at 80 mph
I don't think anybody actually claimed 49MPG @ 80mph - or am I reading these posts wrong?. BTW, I agree with you that it's near impossible to achieve that at steady state, even with the BlueTech. However, after my nearly one week stay with a 2009 320 BlueTec, my average city was in the low thirties and my average highway was in the high thirties. Still quite impressive. I have posted a write-up on my experience for those who are interested. Take a look at it.

· Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
BlueTec2 VS. E320/E350 ???

Therefore, one can conclude that a BlueTec Diesel will get approximately +10 more mpg for either City or Highway driving compared to the E320/E350cars:D

That's like a 40% increase in fuel mileage for a BlueTec car! :thumbsup:

However, the new diesel is a BlueTec2, which requires a special tank for the additive. So if the additive runs out, the engine will not start.. :eek:

Beyond the mileage question, I wonder if anyone has done a 15,000 mile total cost analysis of the BlueTec2 VS. Gas E320/E350??? :rolleyes:

:)

· Premium Member
05 500
6,636 Posts
Therefore, one can conclude that a BlueTec Diesel will get approximately +10 more mpg for either City or Highway driving compared to the E320/E350cars:D

That's like a 40% increase in fuel mileage for a BlueTec car! :thumbsup:
I concur.

However, the new diesel is a BlueTec2, which requires a special tank for the additive. So if the additive runs out, the engine will not start.. :eek:
I don't know what a BlueTech2 is. I just drove a 2009 320 BlueTech and there was nothing advertised about a BlueTech2. The 2010s arent out yet, so what are you talking about?

Beyond the mileage question, I wonder if anyone has done a 15,000 mile total cost analysis of the BlueTec2 VS. Gas E320/E350??? :rolleyes:

:)
Again, please explain B'Tec 2.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unitfreebie,please define "Bluetec2",and the special additive,without which,engine will not start,for those of us in the uninformed masses,

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.