Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 300sd. The driver's side seat belt won't retract, need to know how to open the car up to get at it, and where to find replacement if I can't fix it.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
1993 300sd. The driver's side seat belt won't retract, need to know how to open the car up to get at it, and where to find replacement if I can't fix it.

This topic has come up a few times - (try doing a search) - and although there are varied opinions on this - botom line though - just get it replaced and don't pull it to pieces attempting to fix it.

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Unless you are the sort of guy that fixes light bulbs, don't even think about fixing the inside of an inertia reel seat belt. Buy the new part and bolt it in (removing and refitting trim pieces). The inertia reels are front/rear and left/right specific.

·
Registered
1997 S-500 with 37000 miles
156 Posts
I was told that only the dealer should replace. Something to do with the seat belt ineria reel working with the air bags. Any truth to that?

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
Unless you are the sort of guy that fixes light bulbs, don't even think about fixing the inside of an inertia reel seat belt. Buy the new part and bolt it in (removing and refitting trim pieces). The inertia reels are front/rear and left/right specific.

Jeez Simon - where were ya when I needed ya? I was on the verge of being flamed a short while ago for suggesting that setbelts should only be fixed by pro's! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can replace the rear ones, the front ones are hooked to the SRS system for the crash tension charge. Replacing those requires you to reset the SRS system.

·
Registered
1914 Mercedes 28/95 hp, 83' 300SD, 93' S420, (three) 94' S420's, 95' S500 & 96' S600
284 Posts
Safety Restraint System SRS

You can replace the rear ones, the front ones are hooked to the SRS system for the crash tension charge. Replacing those requires you to reset the SRS system.
SRS is not DIY..... we designed it to keep you safe!

Even being part of the Engineering Team and spent a good part of mine life with these Beauties..... The SRS can be very complex and also can appear extremely simple..... but, it's purpose relates to securing the potential of severe bodily harm and that is the main purpose of our many years of training and application ability. Please ensure that your SRS remains fully "functional", just in case an accident is in the future path of your Benz! We engineered and applied every connection with the purpose of minimizing the potential of you suffering any injury. Spend your money on having this repaired by a qualified and licensed Mercedes Dealership as WE designed FOR YOU!

Save you DIY abilities for another "Area of Opportunity"!​

The SRS system was engineered to save you and your Family from being hurt. It is NOT a DIY'r type of task..... Please listen to me!

A concerned retired Mercedes Professional EE, ME and APE!

With Sincere Regards! :thumbsup:

Robert

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Still means you can DIY the rear reels - as long as you replace the unit with a new one. The rear inertia reels are NOT connected to the SRS.

In Oz it is illegal to tamper with seatbelts - i.e. open the inertia reel units. I'll also follow MM's advice and not work on anything connected to the SRS.

I'm with Haku - if in doubt leave it to the pros. You have to for the front. And the rear is a fairly quick process, so even a dealer shouldn't sting you too much for the labor to change out the rear reels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts