Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my Battery a few days ago ever since my ABS light and ASR light came on so I charged my new battery and the lights are still on and drove it for awhile still there. I tried to look for the over voltage protection in the trunk its not in my trunk just stero stuff. Just wondering if anybody knows where the OVP is on a 1992 400E or what else can I try? Please and thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
On a 1992 300TE, the OVP relay is behind the plastic shield behind the battery. The OVP has a clear lid with a fuse in it closer to the heater box. The MAS has a knob to release it (says 0 or 1) is near you. Then there is the ignition brain and the fuel injection brain hiding up under the cowling. My guess is that even with the I6 vs. V8 differences, these will be the same.

The OVP powers the ASR, the ABS, and the cold start too. Have you noticed a rougher start? If not, then you might be lucky as the fuse goes to the ABS/ASR circuits whereas the cold start is powered differently and opposite the fuse. Might be just a blown fuse.

Good Luck,
Peter

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
There's no OVP relay on a 92 400E. You should build the code reader and read the codes, or have a shop read them.

·
Banned
7,361 Posts
There's no OVP relay on a 92 400E. You should build the code reader and read the codes, or have a shop read them.
There is overvoltage protection, it's called a Base Module.

Remove the module box cover (4- 5mm allen screws)
The module box is where the battery normally is.
In fact, the cover has a decal telling you the battery
is in the trunk.

You'll see a module with 4 fuses. Check them all.

If they are good you need to clear the codes. Some codes won't
reset on they're own.

The reason the lights came on is the systems read less then normal
voltage, like when a battery goes bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ASR/ABS fixed

Thanks alot Clarkz71 that was it. You saved me a 100 bucks. Another question what is the top fuse for? my top fuse has a blank in it should I put one in? Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,361 Posts
No problem, I'm gald I noticed your thread and corrected the misinformation.

On the fuse I've never seen a Base Module without 4 fuses.

I would try putting in the missing one.

Also, fill in your profile, year & model, your location. It helps.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I remember hearing or maybe reading somewhere that shorting pin 1 and 4 will reset the codes (or check engine light).
Is this true?

I remember doing this for late 80 model 3 series BMWs for resetting the check engine and oil service interval lights
I think it was pin 9 and 17.

·
Registered
1 Posts
400e asr light

I opened the box that the fuses are in and there is 3 fuses and a blanked off area...dont see any place for a 4th fuse......asr light only comes on intermitently

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I had this problem and this thread was SPOT ON !
where would I be without you guys ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
oefvetw124lover
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing