Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC(gone but not forgoten) 1988 560SL 1998 E320 4matic wagon
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rough idle problem. The book says this control provides for better fuel atomization at idle. I would think it was a bad injector but all my plugs are a nice toasty white.No carbon or oil fouling.I tryed the 9 volt battery to the terminals trick and the valve clicks. What is the air sorce that this pulls from? Are there any filters ?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
rsmith - What color is your R107? I want one too. I am going to get one of thoe as soon as I am finished with the restoration and AMG conversion of my coupe and sedan. I have a 72 1/2 350SL, but that is last to do...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 107 is a 1988 black pearl. Has 54k on it I bought it 10 years ago with 32k on it This is the second 560sl Ive had Same year same color. The first one I got 2 years old I put 140k on it Liked it so well I found another with low milage owned by a old guy down here. it was parked in his garage next to his Rolls. he quit driving the Sl because he had to have his wife lift his leg in the car for him. The problem was it sat so long in his garage every seal started leaking when I started driving it. Other than that its great.

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 87 300D, 92 190E 2.6, 02 C32, 02 C32T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55, 05 CDI, 06 CDI
2,601 Posts
Think of it as a controlled vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
I'm in the process of "retro-fitting" my entire idle control system with air brake hose and brass fittings:surrender:; all in the name of getting around purchasing the two mediocre rubber hoses that connect each fuel injector holder rail to the cold start valve port.

My dealership has no idea where these parts are, let alone what to order. It's not even on thier EPC. :mad:

Basically, when the car is idling, the throttle plates are closed. The ICV redirects air coming into the fuel distributor around a convoluted circuit that litterally just gives each injector its own air supply.

The air comes into the FD plenum, and is routed up through that little white plastic port (that actual plastic part is a connector for the elbow that goes onto the ICV), into the Idle Control Valve, out the valve and into the aluminum block that holds the Cold Start Valve. After exiting this block, air is then routed through a rubber hose which tee's-off to another rubber hose that connects the two cylindrical rubber rails (one near the inside of each valve cover) that act as a manifold for each fuel injector holder. The fuel injector holders allow air to be mixed with the fuel in the intake manifold.

All the major components of this system are made out of rubber; an excellent choice of material for a part that is constantly cooked upon the engine.:rolleyes:

Replacing these rubber bits will eliminate most any vacuum leak the car may have in this system. Allow for a stack of cash 1" thick to replace these parts.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
Do you guys all have Carquest auto parts where you live?

When I picked up my 107 in NC, one of the things I had to do, which I forgot about until this thread, is replace the bypass hose to the aux air valve.

It was $14. Probably not an original MB part, but they had ALL of the rubber hoses available for the 1973 model Benz. Napa and Autozone had no idea what a Mercedes was, and the MB dealer could not or would not bother to find the part for me.

Probably worth checking out. It had an MB number stamped on it. All of the hoses were inexpensive.

Carquest has some special book to look up old foreign car parts.

I would not buy most parts for my car from a chain parts company, but rubber hoses? Why not.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Really?

Well then...I'll have to give them a visit. Sure beats this 3/4"ID air-brake hose and brass NPT fitting monstrosity I've got going.

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the crancase ventilation tied into this system?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Is the crancase ventilation tied into this system?
No. They are entirely separate entities.

On a related note, does anyone happen to have the PN's for the cross-pipe and the rubber hose that goes from the cross pipe to the Cold Start block? These pipes, rubber hoses, fit below the FD in the intake manifold cavities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts