Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a MB Startac installed in my 2000 S500, that has been lost. Is it possible to just buy a MB Timeport or a MB v60 on ebay and plug it into the existing cradle? I know the plug is the same for the Timeport, as my wife has a non MB Timeport. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
I had a MB Startac installed in my 2000 S500, that has been lost. Is it possible to just buy a MB Timeport or a MB v60 on ebay and plug it into the existing cradle? I know the plug is the same for the Timeport, as my wife has a non MB Timeport. Any help would be appreciated.
The answer is... I don't know...

However, backwards compatibility usually works much better than forward compatibility.

My friend's 2000 StarTac works in my early MY 2001 car (which came with a Timeport). Another friend's V60 won't work in my MY 2001 car, but will work in later 2001 cars as the PSE was updated.

In any case, the key is the PSE. The PSE can be replaced easily in your car, so you just need to have the right one to match your phone/cradle. A V60 PSE is only around $200, and should operate your Timeport without problem.

Note that my 2001 Introduction service notes state several reasons for not using the Timeport in the StarTac cradle, the phones are SLIGHTLY different and the cradles seem to take advantage of these differences.

-s-

p.s. All three of the cars I mentioned above have since had the phones replaced with a Nokia PSE, Nokia 6310i phone and the proper handset and clip. The only concern to some people (and not me) is that the Nokias don't work with Verizon or Sprint, but add T-Mobile and Cingular to the previous option of AT&T.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow Up

Thanks Scorchie...Why is everyone switching to the Nokia 6310i? Does this phone have to be a Mercedes part also? What are all of the things that I will need to change to get this phone to work?

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Because it is cheaper than the Mercedes Motorola phones.

Because it is cheaper than the Mercedes Motorola phones.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Like dtkw said... the whole thing is so much cheaper! Plus, you do not need a Mercedes-br...

Like dtkw said... the whole thing is so much cheaper! Plus, you do not need a Mercedes-branded phone, although the Nokia 6310i isn't a really cheap phone. Where this starts making more sense is if you have multiple cars and multiple people that switch the cars. Then each person can have his own phone and switch it around. Since it is GSM, one can also have multiple "carry" phones and just swap the SIM into the phone you want to use.

For instance, I use my 6310i in my cars, as well as when traveling (because it is a "world phone"). But around town, I use a much smaller phone as my pocket phone.

You can find the parts on eBay, the kits come up about every week.

-s-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer's story

Here's the latest folks. I called my local dealer today and posed the same question. The dealer told me that a Timeport would not work in a car wired for a Startac. I asked about the v60 upgrade option. He said that they can upgrade from a Timeport to a v60, but not from a Startac to a v60. He did offer to rewire the car for the v60 and it would cost between $5,000 to $6,000. This is the most absurd bunch of nonsense that I've ever heard. Also, I called around today in my area to see if anyone could put in a Nokia kit and everyone told me that they won't work on a Mercedes phone integration. They suggested that I go to the dealer. Help!!! Anyone!!! Please!!!

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Dealer's story

Here's the latest folks. I called my local dealer today and posed the same question. The dealer told me that a Timeport would not work in a car wired for a Startac. I asked about the v60 upgrade option. He said that they can upgrade from a Timeport to a v60, but not from a Startac to a v60. He did offer to rewire the car for the v60 and it would cost between $5,000 to $6,000. This is the most absurd bunch of nonsense that I've ever heard. Also, I called around today in my area to see if anyone could put in a Nokia kit and everyone told me that they won't work on a Mercedes phone integration. They suggested that I go to the dealer. Help!!! Anyone!!! Please!!!
Where do you live?

Anyhow, you should go to the dealer, and say "Pretend my S500 is a 2003 model year. Please install a V60 phone kit in it, without rewiring it."

If they actually did that (and charged you the $2000 for the whole kit), it would work just fine. No rewiring of the car necessary.

Oh, I've been through most of the technical documents on the phone kits... and the only reason I can find provided why a newer phone kit doesn't work with the an older car is... that the antenna and antenna wire for the older cars are not dual band. The simple solution of course, is to replace the antenna (cheap) and antenna wire (not really necessary). The antenna does work well with the upper band if you are in a good coverage area. In fringe areas, the performance is not as good as with the proper antenna. But about town, we've had no complaints.

-s-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seattle, WA

Scorchie, Thanks again for the info. I live in Seattle, WA. I spoke to the dealer again after your message and this time, perhaps, he was even less helpful. He insists that in any case, to get a v60 in my car and have it work would cost $5,000 minimum. I can't beleive that Mercedes Benz would let dealers act this way. The Startac I had was a dual-mode phone. I believe that the v60 is a tri-mode. Maybe the easiest thing to do is find another Startac on ebay.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Since Steve is not able to come to switch my phone, here is my other option.

Get rid o...

Since Steve is not able to come to switch my phone, here is my other option.

Get rid of the MB audio system. Put an Alpine CVA 1004 or 1009 in, hook up a Alpine Mobithub for Nokia 6310i. With the Mobilhub, it would mute the music as the Mercedes thing when you make calls or recieve calls. If pocketbook is still healthy, put in a navigation like my 560's.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Scorchie, I bought a NoKia 6310i from EBay. It has a AT&T SIM card inside. But I don't t...

Scorchie, I bought a NoKia 6310i from EBay. It has a AT&T SIM card inside. But I don't think the phone was activated yet. When I switched the SIM from my 6340i into it, it said restricted and need the code to unlock it. How do I get that code? Do I have to take it to Cingular where they don't have 6310i?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Scorchie, I bought a NoKia 6310i from EBay. It has a AT&T SIM card inside. But I don

Scorchie, I bought a NoKia 6310i from EBay. It has a AT&T SIM card inside. But I don't think the phone was activated yet. When I switched the SIM from my 6340i into it, it said restricted and need the code to unlock it. How do I get that code? Do I have to take it to Cingular where they don't have 6310i?
Well... you should have bought an unlocked phone!

You can buy an unlocking code on eBay. (I also unlock phones for $5 but I don't want to suggest my service is the only one! [;)] )

Once you do that, your Cingular SIM will work in the 6310i.

-s-

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
hahaha, thank for offering anyway. Better than getting the codes here then sending the ph...

hahaha, thank for offering anyway. Better than getting the codes here then sending the phone there. Got one from Ebay all right.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 250, 2001 C 320
784 Posts
It can all be done yourself very easily!

Hi WD ... I don't know what progress you have made with upgrading your "S" but:

I now have the Mercedes install bulletins for all models and model years from 2000-03 and some 04s.

Your MY "S" is very easy to update although a little more extensive than doing a 2001. Mercedes actually has an update kit for your MY but I don't recommend buying it because it has parts in it you don't need.

To update to a V60 you will need a newer version PSE, phone cradle/holder, and the proper MB V60 phone. You should also replace the linear compensator and antenna becasue the ones you have now don't support digital very well. All mounting brackets, harness, and hardware are the same. You are looking at maybe $1000-1200 worth of parts (purchased new from MB), including the phone, but it can be done. If you want more info and the part numbers and install intructions, you can E-mail me.

Paul[:I]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts