Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive got a 97 V-class with 82Kon the clock which has just started making a slight ticking / tapping noise high up on the engine, which at the moment appears to come from just above the inlet manifold.

The noise can just be heard from inside the cabin with the fan and radio etc switched off. But other times the noise I think has disappeared. Also the noise increases with rpm although once above 1500 I can not hear it. Noise is present hot or cold but perhaps more noticeable when hot

So these engines as far as im aware have twin overhead cams, or am I wrong.
Q. is the noise a worn camshaft or something else like an oil pump and are the camshafts easy to change, any body tried...or subjections for parts suppliers.

Thanks for your input

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Ok ive got a 97 V-class with 82Kon the clock which has just started making a slight ticking / tapping noise high up on the engine, which at the moment appears to come from just above the inlet manifold.

The noise can just be heard from inside the cabin with the fan and radio etc switched off. But other times the noise I think has disappeared. Also the noise increases with rpm although once above 1500 I can not hear it. Noise is present hot or cold but perhaps more noticeable when hot

So these engines as far as im aware have twin overhead cams, or am I wrong.
Q. is the noise a worn camshaft or something else like an oil pump and are the camshafts easy to change, any body tried...or subjections for parts suppliers.

Thanks for your input
Its normally caused by low oil pressure, ie oil pump. Unfortunately it will get worse, so its better you address the problem now and now wait;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, do you know if changing the oil pump is easy and where is it locatted?

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Thanks, do you know if changing the oil pump is easy and where is it locatted?
Sorry, but I have little knowledge of the V class. However the oil pump on all models is located in the sump and its a matter of how difficult it is to remove the sump to change the pump. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe the V Class has a Transverse engine and therefore the engine has to come out to remove the sump.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Having just taken off my oil pump two days ago from a V220cdi, I can warn you that removing the sump without taking the engine out is a right royal f*king mission. It is possible but I would not dream of recommending it to someone or even trying it again unless I am paid by the hour ... I can PM what I did if anyone must know.

You can see it on the far right of the picture I posted here in another thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-class/1347681-vibrating-noise-2-500rpm.html#post2738592

As embarrassed as I am to mention it, I would read this article before proceeding with taking anything apart. I wish I had before the surgery started ... read section 3 and 4 ...

Engine Noise Diagnosis 101

Once you have the sump off, it is just three torx screws and the pump drops off. Just the small matter of getting the sump past the obstacles that Merc put in your way.

I can confirm that the 2.2 CDi engine is indeed transversely mounted, has twin CAMs and a timing chain. So don't let anyone convince you that the cam belt needs changing !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts