Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
Triple Black 2007 CLK350 Cabriolet
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 2007 CLK350 Cab last spring. Last month the Check Engine light came on, so I visited the dealer. He said 2 of the Cam Magnets needed to be replaced, and because I have an extended warranty, he recommended that all 4 be replaced. Shortly after the service was completed, we took a trip and put 1500 miles on the car, without any additional problems. My question is "what are the cam magnets for and since the light went out after two days before my visit to the dealer, was this service really necessary?"

Other than that, the car has been great and rides much better than the Corvette it replaced.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Rather than 'magnets', a better expression is 'camshaft solenoids'. Your CLK 350 has engine M272, which has VVT (variable valve timing).

To achieve this, the camshaft timing is adjusted (while the engine is running) from the ECU by means of the camshaft solenoids which incrementally rotate the shafts. There are 4 altogether.

The operation is explained in more detail on the WIS page below:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response and explanation. I'm currently in Michigan and the car is in South Carolina. I should be back down there next week and I will look up the serial number and report back to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got back home to South Carolina. I need someone to interpret the serial number for the engine serial number. It's WDBTK56F97F212899.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
This is your car.

VEHICLE TYPE: Car
MODEL NAME: CLK 350
ENGINE: 272960 30 464580
TRANSMISSION: 722906 00 871208
FRONT AXLE: AL066060803127
ORDER NUMBER: 0771518492
PRODUCTION NUMBER: 3016968
INTERIOR COLOR: 801A
PAINTS: 197U
RETARDER: 8 060911
DELIVERY DATE: 11/09/06
PRODUCTION ORDER REFERENCE: N
RELEASE DATE: 11/09/06

242 FRONT SEAT RH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
249 AUTOMATICALLY DIPPING INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR
264 LICENSE PLATE ATTACHMENT AMERICA
265 LINES-NO.PLATE DISCONTINUED
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
494 VERSION FOR USA
524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
581 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONER
634 DELETION - FIRST AID KIT
636 DELETION - WARNING TRIANGLE
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
731 WOOD TRIM BURRED WALNUT ROOT
740 BLACK SOFT TOP FABRIC 9001
810 SOUND SYSTEM

Oh man... Your engine is in the batch that might be affected by the well-known balance shaft problem... :( Ie, Equipped with M272 Engine Up to Serial No. 2729..30 468993.

Read other posts on this issue in the archives. All are based on this MB TSB:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Keyhole, it's a good thing I have a high-end, bumper-to-bumper extended warranty.

·
Registered
2008 CLK350 Coupe, 1998 E300,
5 Posts
New to this forum. Any help would be appreciated.

Have 2008 CLK350 VIN WDDGF5EB5BA513834 with two outside camshaft solenoids leaking oil....my service tech discovered them before any code appeared.

Still under warranty...should I request all 4 be replaced? Warranty expires end of month.

Odometer reading is 8300 miles

Is this also the same M272 Engine referred to in this thread and if so does it fall within the serial range of troublesome units that may be candidates for extended warranty?

Thanks for any advice

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,955 Posts
That's not a valid VIN. Check and report and I'll look it up for you. Just guessing, being a 2008 model and a 500000 series VIN, I doubt it falls within the balance shaft range problems. On the cam sensor magnet issue, it's the dealer's call. Typically, they won't replace parts like that unless they can verify a problem with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to let you know, my dealer replaced all four solenoids under my warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rodney thank you...correct VIN is WDBTJ56H38F241319 (my error, other was off loan car doc)...hopefully this vehicle falls outside problematic engine range...if not any thoughts on warranty extension...anyone care to suggest a provider?....research indicates some warranty extensions are not worth paper they are written on......the vehicle is low miles, we follow all service guidance and tend to keep our vehicles longer than most

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,955 Posts
Rodney thank you...correct VIN is WDBTJ56H38F241319 (my error, other was off loan car doc)...hopefully this vehicle falls outside problematic engine range...if not any thoughts on warranty extension...anyone care to suggest a provider?....research indicates some warranty extensions are not worth paper they are written on......the vehicle is low miles, we follow all service guidance and tend to keep our vehicles longer than most
OK, that's engine #733654 - way, far out of the bad range. :thumbsup: Personally, instead of spending $3k+ on a good extended warranty, I'd put $3K in the bank (or under the mattress, whichever is more convenient) and save it for the repairs you may need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rodney...thanks much...that news is a relief....under the mattress it goes

this is a great board...much appreciated

·
Registered
MB 450slc 1977 euro
13 Posts
Hi guys,

I got a 2007 c280 and I'm kinda worried about the affected engines with the camshaft problems. Can you verify if my engine is in the affected range?

WDBRF92H17F935708

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
As an update on the camshaft solenoids issue and then a bit of a vent......the car was still under warranty soon to expire. We patronize a local independent. (excellent). I asked them to inspect the car for possible warrantable issues we should address before the warranty ran out. They found the two flawed camshaft solenoids and pointed me to the dealer for repair. Armed with the information including which two were leaking I dropped the car at the dealer and asked them to go over the car and to specifically address the two offending units. The dealer called later to say there were no detectable leak. After reading this board and speaking to the Indy I learned that these things leak internally into the wiring (someone described the harness as behaving like a "wick" so external leaks may not be obvious). Armed with this additional info I called the dealer and asked the dealer to look a little harder. They weren't happy but after bringing the service writers manager into the discussion they miraculously found both units were leaking (internally) and replaced them.

My original migration to an independent was prompted by a similar experience a few years back. The 300E had a small diesel leak. The service writer wanted to Re and Re the pump (1100 dollars). I offered to pay time and material for a mechanic to diagnose and repair the leak in hopes that the pump did not need replacement. The service writer would not hear of it...started quoting company policy etc...

So went on line, found this board, found references to small seals that tend to break down when exposed to certain diesel additives....found a well recommended Independent from this board. The Indy was happy to oblige on time and material...fixed the problem for less than $150 and at the same time discovered an issue with a loose belt tensioner (which had very recently been replaced by the dealer). It would have caused major problems had it not been tightened. Almost 4 years later, no leaks, and a fuel pump (and vehicle) delivering better fuel consumption today than when new in 1998

Lesson
...if your service writer and or mechanic don't know their stuff it will cost you.
...do your homework...this board is great
....talking to a technician almost guarantees a better outcome

I hope this narrative is helpful. thanks guys

·
Registered
MB 450slc 1977 euro
13 Posts
Well that's a weight off my shoulders for sure! :) Thanks for the info.

I think I will look into replacing the selenoids. I shouldn't have any codes coming up since I just had my service B but when I start my car the rpm isn't stable for about 30 secs and then stabilizes (were talking something minor like varying between 2 bars on the RPM). I also feel the engine shake for a second at startup (again minor no weird sounds or anything).

Do you think these could indicate faulty sensors or a need for the magnets replacement?

Cheers

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500 Convertible
52 Posts
Searching and researching CLK's

I have found "CLK Maintenance / Repair / PPI Index" and many other posts here VERY helpful. Sure glad to learn all this before I buy, thank you all.

Am paying particular attention to 272/273 engines re: Balance-Shaft/gear and check prospects for engine serial number using the Russian VIN decoder (which once a while comes up blank). I know the upper limit of the bad batch of 272's is 468993 and for or 273's 088611, what's the lower? 000001? On the 273's?

These seem to be mostly 2006 and some 2007 models, am I right? I had read until after August of 2007, but am finding 2007's that check out ok. What's the general rule?

What can y'all tell me about the bad ECU on the Transmission Valve body. Not many carfax reports on the 2004-2008's I look at show them to have been serviced. Any serial number range or year models to look for here?

Sorry to be so windy, but there's a lot to look out for; sometimes I think "screw it, get a Lexus" and then recover. Thx, Donn

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Am paying particular attention to 272/273 engines re: Balance-Shaft/gear and check prospects for engine serial number using the Russian VIN decoder (which once a while comes up blank). I know the upper limit of the bad batch of 272's is 468993 and for or 273's 088611, what's the lower? 000001? On the 273's?

These seem to be mostly 2006 and some 2007 models, am I right? I had read until after August of 2007, but am finding 2007's that check out ok. What's the general rule?
For the numbers for the affected engines, read the official MB DTB on post #7. No lower engine number is provided. Year of manufacture is not included either.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts