Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see if anyone here has any theories on how these “hairs” became attached to the cast sections of the camshaft on my 1973 350slc 4-speed “barn find” that was cranked with a weak starter a few times since being pulled from the barn (where a tornado dropped the roof and broke both front and rear glass). The tags show a 4/2003 expiration date.

Anyway, I have no solid theories in the 107 forum on how these hairs have become attracted to the camshaft and would like input from the m116/117 experts her in the w126 forum. Please take a looks at this weird phenomena.

Thanks!
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,017 Posts
I vote for wear particles being attracted to a magnetized camshaft. Don't I remember that metal can become magnetized when you rub two together? Lack of lubrication due to the loose oiler could cause the cam and lifters to do this rubbing, I think, resulting in the magnetization and the worn metal.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I vote for wear particles being attracted to a magnetized camshaft. Don't i remember that metal can become magnetized when you rub two together? Lack of lubrication due to the loose oiler could cause the cam and lifters to do this rubbing, I think, resulting in the magnetization and the worn metal.
I doubt it’s wear from the cams and rockers because it doesn’t seem to react to the magnet.

I forgot to mention that it was only the one front Oiler connection that was loose when I pulled the cover off. The oiler tube connection wasn’t broken, just loose. Weird. Most cams had oil on them when I touched them with my finger. So I sound I’ve got as big of a problem there as I expected.

With the chain grinds in the driver/left head, I’m assuming maybe it’s aluminum. Why it would collect on the cast part of the camshaft is weird though.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,017 Posts
I doubt it’s wear from the cams and rockers because it doesn’t seem to react to the magnet.

I forgot to mention that it was only the one front Oiler connection that was loose when I pulled the cover off. The oiler tube connection wasn’t broken, just loose. Weird. Most cams had oil on them when I touched them with my finger. So I sound I’ve got as big of a problem there as I expected.

With the chain grinds in the driver/left head, I’m assuming maybe it’s aluminum. Why it would collect on the cast part of the camshaft is weird though.

Yes, that is super weird. Obviously the metal is coming from somewhere. I keep wanting to suggest a possible source but then come back to the assumption of aluminum. Maybe you should confirm it's aluminum?

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,026 Posts
A little bit of metal is not unusual. I agree, it looks like the cam has gotten magnetized somehow. Get a compass and move it around near the cam. If the reading varies, the cam is magnatized.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is super weird. Obviously the metal is coming from somewhere.
... assuming it is actually metal. If it was, wouldn’t it be likely to be various shapes and sizes and maybe curled? So small and straight.

I keep wanting to suggest a possible source but then come back to the assumption of aluminum. Maybe you should confirm it's aluminum?
Anybody got an aluminum magnet I could borrow?

I guess some collection and chemistry would be the way to prove or disprove it is aluminum.

I’m just glad I documented the situation. I’m not sure there’s enough specimen to collect a clean sample that’s not all diluted with oil and dirt. And nobody is going to pay me for the research or give me the Nobel peace prize or anything.

A little bit of metal is not unusual. I agree, it looks like the cam has gotten magnetized somehow. Get a compass and move it around near the cam. If the reading varies, the cam is magnatized.
I agree it sure looks like the camshaft has gotten magnetized, but If the hairs don’t react to a magnet, I’ve got to assume that the time spent trying to obtain a compass wouldn’t be worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts