Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 C350 coupe (RWD), miles: 1k & 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD, (lease), miles: 10k & 2000 Ford Crown Vic
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had a non-dealer mechanic replace my Cam Plugs (all 3); hopefully you guys know what I am talking about. Is there a way to check if the work was done correctly (without taking everything apart) the smoke has gone away but there is still a little smell of burnt oil but I think this is because of the oil that was on the exhaust before the fix.

Sorry if something is incorrect in my explanation.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
OK,
Arm yourself with a mirror and a flash light, borrow a kitchen rag (don't tell your wife what you're doing with it), wipe the rear of the engine to a sparkling shine, drive around for a couple of days, then check for leaks from all plugs.
If you find none, then the work was done properly, if you.............well, you get the picture.

·
Registered
2014 C350 coupe (RWD), miles: 1k & 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD, (lease), miles: 10k & 2000 Ford Crown Vic
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK,
Arm yourself with a mirror and a flash light, borrow a kitchen rag (don't tell your wife what you're doing with it), wipe the rear of the engine to a sparkling shine, drive around for a couple of days, then check for leaks from all plugs.
If you find none, then the work was done properly, if you.............well, you get the picture.
Thanks for the advice! Btw, how did you know I have a wife :)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
Just had a non-dealer mechanic replace my Cam Plugs (all 3); hopefully you guys know what I am talking about. Is there a way to check if the work was done correctly (without taking everything apart) the smoke has gone away but there is still a little smell of burnt oil but I think this is because of the oil that was on the exhaust before the fix.

Sorry if something is incorrect in my explanation.
If you don;t mind me asking, how much did this cost you? My dealer did this a few months ago but I'm not sure what the cost was as it was covered under warranty so I'm just curious...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don;t mind me asking, how much did this cost you? My dealer did this a few months ago but I'm not sure what the cost was as it was covered under warranty so I'm just curious...
I don’t mind at all. The cam plugs where about $26.00 (set of 3), and a local mechanic that brother goes to changed me for an hour of labor @ $75.00 for an hour of work.

The dealership around my work wanted to change me $120.00 an hour for 1 ½ hours of work.

Hope that helps… also there are no sensors or other electric things to reset and/or check so it’s fairly straight forward.

·
Registered
06 E350 4Matic
7 Posts
Approx two years ago, dealer found an oil leak on my wife's 06 E350 4Matic. Replaced all three cam plugs and crank case centrifuge. Cost: $266.

Unfortunately, I think this was the early warning for the dreaded balance shaft issue. Still researching....

·
Registered
2000 BMW M5, 1997 F250, 1998 Altima, 2005 Honda Repsol 1000RR, 22FT Bayliner Capri Bowrider 5.0L
106 Posts
how would a minor oil leak give you cause to worry about the "balance shaft" problem?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how would a minor oil leak give you cause to worry about the "balance shaft" problem?
Master Certified, I agree with you but a part of me doesn’t. let me explain…

I replaced all 3 cam plugs, I agree a 100%, no reason why balance shaft would be an issue but I’ve also replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and now I am getting CEL: error P0025 Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2)… do I have a great point… no LOL, I just wanted to share and maybe find a connection :).

·
Registered
2000 BMW M5, 1997 F250, 1998 Altima, 2005 Honda Repsol 1000RR, 22FT Bayliner Capri Bowrider 5.0L
106 Posts
im not sure what that code is, (i mostly know mb codes, different than P codes) but i know that the balance shaft issue will cause codes on bank 1, not bank 2. so u might just have a bad cam magnet, prob woud be less than 300 bucks at the shop (including the diagnosis). or like 40 bucks if you do it yourself (but you have to have the accurate diagnosis of which one, and the tools/know how)

·
Registered
2006 E350
28 Posts
P025

That is your exhaust camshaft solenoid or magnet. They run about $30 and are pretty easy to replace. Make sure you get the correct side. I guessed wrong and wound up replacing both. They are discussed in several threads.
As to the balance shaft issue: P1200 and P1208 are the "Death Codes" (Parts guy at my dealer used this description.) How many miles on yours? He had also mentioned that they aren't doing a lot of them anymore since it seems to show up fairly early and the production run that had this problem is getting pretty old.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just replaced my wife 07 E350 last weekend. It was a very easy process. It took me 5 min to replace both plugs. Total cost for parts (2 plugs - 1 big and 1 small) was $21.

Scale from 1 to 10. I give it an 1.

There are many threads on this.
Tylan, where are those Cam Plugs located? I need to change mine as well.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fragile Plastic CAM plugs from MB engineering

I wonder why MB uses the fragile plastic plugs on hot metal engine fame. I do not think MB is not smart enough over Japanese Lexus.
I love MB but some of parts used are not understandable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts