Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many cam cover bolts are on a 420SEL? I have removed four from each; there appear to be no more. I've tried hitting the tops and sides of the covers with a rubber mallet, but it's -10C outside, and I don't want them to shatter.

Thank you

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,386 Posts
Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum, and even has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information.
Cheers

A search with 'Valve cover bolt washers' got me http://www.benzworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=2295840

and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd-sdl-class/1255652-timing-chain-sliding-rail-3-guides.html?highlight=Valve+cover+bolt+washers

= 4 bolts per cover

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,386 Posts
How many cam cover bolts are on a 420SEL? I have removed four from each; there appear to be no more. I've tried hitting the tops and sides of the covers with a rubber mallet, but it's -10C outside, and I don't want them to shatter.

Thank you
See my post for # of bolts. You'll need new copper crush washers and valve cover gaskets, and not too much torque. Often leaks are caused by too much torque squishing the gaskets.

·
Registered
82 300sd, 84 500sec
231 Posts

Thank you
Someone may have stuck the valve cover on with silicone or the like, or it could be binding on air plumbing around the top of the covers.

On my 500, I had to wiggle them around to get them free of the air injection plumbing.

Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts