Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 80K on my '99. You may not consider it high mileage but I plan to put 120K on her before I sell her.

I can hear a forced air sounds upon heavy acceleration that appears to be coming mainly from the engine bay on the left side I believe. Perhaps an exhaust manifold leak or leak in the headers. Maybe the catalytic convertor which is of course underneath the passenger to the right of the vehicle not in the engine bay. I've done a search and did not come up with a good diagnosis or solution. I can hear some ticking of the lifters as well--but to terribly loud or annoying.

Have any of you had exhaust manifolds, headers, and/ or the cat replaced in your ML? What about sticking lifters?

I have the supersprint muffler which sounds great at low RPMs but maybe upon hard acceleration I'm hearing some sort of flapping noise from its internal parts and it is is just behind the cat so it could be either or both. I'm not concerned too much about lost acceleration but I also don't want back pressure issues if something is wrong.

I've heard of cats getting old and there are more free flowing aftermarket cats out there that I may consider--as long as it passes emissions tests.

Any advice would help... Ideas?

I'm considering Kleemann headers but want to shore up some leaks and/or blockages if there are any!

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
I have 181,000KM (112,000Miles) on my ML. Last week when I had my truck in for a B service my SA let me know that both my cats sounded like they had marbles in them and should be replaced. My muffler is also a little worse for wear. I had previously had the passenger cat crack and welded closed (about 160,000KM). I have been trying to find a source for a reasonably priced complete system from header to tail pipe including hi-flow cats and a Remus muffler So far I have heard back from 2 companies.

Berg Works “We don't have any exhaust for the ML, to the best of my recollection none of the companies ever produced a full system and all the old stock from my sources are gone. The only suggestion I have would be to try Time Valve in New York they make stainless exhaust for Mercedes�

Flat out performance “We do not stock much Remus stuff. This particular application isn't even in stock at Remus' North American HQ's. If you would like the exhaust, we will have to specially order it from Remus in Austria. The price will be the same, but it will take 4-6 weeks to get in (then another 2-3 days to get to you in Edmonton). If you were to order the parts, we could ship it for free.
Let us know if you would like us to order it. We would require a 10% non-refundable deposit.

Anyway my quest continues for a good aftermarket complete exhaust system that will give me better performance than OEM, at a reasonable price, that I can get shipped and installed here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I don’t think I want to attempt to DIY an exhaust system.

Good luck with your's

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
LOCHS 2 - 4/28/2005 6:32 PM

I have 80K on my '99. You may not consider it high mileage but I plan to put 120K on her before I sell her.

I can hear a forced air sounds upon heavy acceleration that appears to be coming mainly from the engine bay on the left side I believe. Perhaps an exhaust manifold leak or leak in the headers. Maybe the catalytic convertor which is of course underneath the passenger to the right of the vehicle not in the engine bay. I've done a search and did not come up with a good diagnosis or solution. I can hear some ticking of the lifters as well--but to terribly loud or annoying.

Have any of you had exhaust manifolds, headers, and/ or the cat replaced in your ML? What about sticking lifters?

I have the supersprint muffler which sounds great at low RPMs but maybe upon hard acceleration I'm hearing some sort of flapping noise from its internal parts and it is is just behind the cat so it could be either or both. I'm not concerned too much about lost acceleration but I also don't want back pressure issues if something is wrong.

I've heard of cats getting old and there are more free flowing aftermarket cats out there that I may consider--as long as it passes emissions tests.

I'm considering Kleemann headers but want to shore up some leaks and/or blockages if there are any!
I have 85K on my 1999.
I had sticking lifters at about 40K miles.
I did 3 consecutive Mobil 1 oil changes with filter within a space of 500 miles and the ticking sound never came back. (I was following FSS back then :-( )

The forced air sound - isn't that your supercharger?

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadsession - 4/28/2005 9:55 PM

The forced air sound - isn't that your supercharger?
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

I do enjoy THAT sound very much!

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I can take a look under your ML and in your engine bay

Icebergb28 - 4/29/2005 9:51 AM

I just hit 160,400 miles on my 430, and it still runs like new...
and see how yours looks compared to mine! That's awesome that you have that many trouble-free miles. You must have a long commute to work!

I live near I-55 & Cass Ave. and I think I have seen your ML with those rare rims somewhere. If you would be willing to meet me somewhere like the Jewel parking lot that would be cool!

·
Registered
2000 ML430
657 Posts
LOCHS 2 - 4/28/2005 6:32 PM

Have the dealer check your Cats for cracks. You are at 80K The emissons warranty runs out at 80K so I would take it asap.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
131 Posts
RE: Maybe I can take a look under your ML and in your engine bay

and see how yours looks compared to mine! That's awesome that you have that many trouble-free miles. You must have a long commute to work!

I live near I-55 & Cass Ave. and I think I have seen your ML with those rare rims somewhere. If you would be willing to meet me somewhere like the Jewel parking lot that would be cool![/QUOTE]

No Kidding? I live pretty much right on Cass & I-55, sure we can meet up somewhere, no problem, I have to hear that Kleeman "rumble"

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iceberg--

Just sent you an e-mail. We'll go for a "quick" spin in the Kleemann. I have a V1 so that should help as I know the Darien police have seen me drive by one of their speed traps. Clarendon Hills and Willowbrook police are just as bad though.

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
00 ML430 Bulldog - 4/29/2005 12:30 PM

Have the dealer check your Cats for cracks. You are at 80K The emissons warranty runs out at 80K so I would take it asap.
Thanks Bulldog. I saw in a search that 80K was the over under for a free cat replacement. I have been a generous contributor to the dealer service bottom line so they may help me out even though I have 80,400 actual miles. We'll see. I'll post the results later.

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
hi lochs
my 2000 430 had valve train ticking when i bought it 1 yr ago at only 30k miles. the mobil 1 in it was FILTHY. i always dump a can of berrymans in the crankcase and idle the vehicle for 30 mins before each oil change. no more valve ticking on the first oil change. now,i change my filter only at about 4k miles and change oil and filter when FSS says 5000 more miles to go, which, so far, has worked out to about 6k miles on the odometer. I just cant live with skanky looking oil in the crankcase. fwiw. good luck.

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dan

texasdanml430 - 4/29/2005 3:11 PM

hi lochs
my 2000 430 had valve train ticking when i bought it 1 yr ago at only 30k miles. the mobil 1 in it was FILTHY. i always dump a can of berrymans in the crankcase and idle the vehicle for 30 mins before each oil change. no more valve ticking on the first oil change. now,i change my filter only at about 4k miles and change oil and filter when FSS says 5000 more miles to go, which, so far, has worked out to about 6k miles on the odometer. I just cant live with skanky looking oil in the crankcase. fwiw. good luck.
I have been changing oil and filter at 5,000 miles. I had the ticking issue after start during the winter but it was hard to hear driving with the kompressor and the supersprint exhaust drowning out all other noises. Now I do hear the ticking on acceleration since it's warm and the windows are down--but no noise at idle after start for now.

I've come to the conclusion that I may need to have the dealer look at the cat and also for any other exhaust leaks. I'll have them look into the sticky lifters as well. Icebergb28 and I are going to meet next week so I'll get a visual comparison then.

Thanks again...

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts