Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
01 ML 320, 02 C240
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of you were with me when we were discussing this, and I appreciate it. But from what I've heard from you, Alpine gives you the steering wheel controls. We will be purchasing an Alpine Headunit this week for my sister. I am just seeking opinions on his headunit

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=CDA9807

Any suggestions or comments about this cd player?

Will there be anything needed if I want to connect it to the steering wheel controls? or will the people installing it know what to do?

Would this player fir perfectly?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
alpine 9807

i am an alpine dealer in Canada...i have heard several complaints about not being able to see the display in the daytime..and about the steering wheel controls..i haven't heard of that..i spoke with technical support at alpine...they haven't heard of it either...so do your research b4 you buy...other then that it's a great entry level unit...also try looking at the alpine 9811, 9813, 9815..no real difference between the 11 - 15 mainly larger display and different color..please let me know if you find anything on the steering wheel controls

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
It must be that Canada is too small a country for Alpine to carry this product.

http:...

It must be that Canada is too small a country for Alpine to carry this product.

http://www.alpinef.com/steerphpBB/viewtopic.php?t=55&sid=cc279fd23e268957d045805426717e7b

IMHO, this is silly, paying all that money just to replace a mediocre sounding Alpine MB factory radio for another mediocre sounding Alpine radio but with a crappy display, buttons that are too small and complicated. And to add injury to insult, have a stereo and dash kit that looks like a cheap aftermarket radio that's slaped into a hole that is the wrong shape. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
01 ML 320, 02 C240
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call

that's a very interesting perspective. After reading what you just said, I just found my second option, but will need your opinions and thoughts on it. I am planning on purchasing this:

http://benzworld.org/forums/messages.asp?messno=8380&id=6&view=t

The CD changer. Can someone explain to me how this would work? He already told me it's just plug and play, take to the MB dealer and have it done. But my question is, has anyone else done this before? Will mercedes charge me an expensive price to do the install? I will get in contact with my SA this week also about this. Thanks BW Members.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
76 Posts
I have heard that MB charges anywhere from $100 to $400 for the install depending on the d...

I have heard that MB charges anywhere from $100 to $400 for the install depending on the dealer and your relationship. Many of us have done it ourselves. You might do a search here or on other MB forums for our experiences.

If you decide on DIY, I can send you the instruction set that I used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Just got my C320 coupe with a factory installed CD changer. This one looks identical...

Hi
Just got my C320 coupe with a factory installed CD changer. This one looks identical and is probably the exact same unit. It has a cartridge for loading 6 CDs. The entire unit fits in thew glove compartment. Controls operate from the console as well as the steering wheel.

Sorry, don;t know specifics about the connections at this point but thought this might help.

·
Registered
W204 & W211
2,717 Posts
why not just upgrade to audio10 cd HU?
no need to purchase cd changer then...

in ter...

in terms of alpine's steering control adapter, there is no such thing for MB. this is not available for cars with multi-functional steering wheels. these adapters will work with honda for example...

·
Registered
01 ML 320, 02 C240
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: why not just upgrade to audio10 cd HU?no need to purchase cd changer then...in ter

in terms of alpine's steering control adapter, there is no such thing for MB. this is not available for cars with multi-functional steering wheels. these adapters will work with honda for example...
Where can i get this HU? Anyone have an example of how it looks? Pricing?

-Planning on purchasing a CD Changer instead, but if this is better, then we will lean towards this.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
You can check my websites, I have the link to the Audio 10 manual. I'll update the link ...

You can check my websites, I have the link to the Audio 10 manual and installation instructions. Go to www.Buellwinkle.com don't try old links to my members.cox.net site, that hasn't been updated in a long time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lynn:Is that the official price for Audio 10 \Is that including shi...

Lynn:
Is that the official price for Audio 10?? Is that including shipping to US and manual?Also, I checked the web that you give and click the Audio 10 link, I think the Audio 10 that shows on that link is not gonna fit for W203 C-class. There must be a different Audio 10.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Steve can make it fit. He has special tools including a plasma cutter, sawsall and dreme...

Steve can make it fit. He has special tools including a plasma cutter, sawsall and dremel. In minutes he can install anything in any car. He can sometimes graft the center console section from a W202 to a W203 just to make the radio fit. [;)]

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts