Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fibre optic CD changer pig tails in my E320 1999. I am desperately looking to install a cd changer with mp3 capability or a glovebox based mp3 player. For the mp3 player, is it a do it yourself thing? any special attachments/converters? best palces to buy?

Thanks for any help you can offer
[^]

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
With the cassette headunit, you have a few choices:1) use a portable MP3 player and a ...

OK, you're lazy. [;)]

With the cassette headunit, you have a few choices:

1) use a portable MP3 player and a cassette adapter

2) upgrade to COMAND, then use a portable MP3 player or MP3 CD changer and feed it to the AUX inputs

3) use a portable MP3 player or MP3 CD changer and an RF modulator

Although a lot of people go with #3, I prefer #1. I find the sound to be better and I find my regular (already poor) FM reception suffers even worse after using all the adapters to hook in an RF mod.

So, I've gone to #2 in most of my cars.

-s-

·
Registered
2004 E320 wagon
29 Posts
Will the comand unit accept an mp3 player (ipod) with fiber optic patch?
Do the aux. inp...

Will the comand unit accept an mp3 player (ipod) with fiber optic patch?
Do the aux. inputs accpt rca?
Certainly not firewire??
Thanks
jack

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
COMAND units have an AUX input, that is line level. Depending on your car, it may already...

COMAND units have an AUX input, that is line level. Depending on your car, it may already have a 3.5mm stereo jack (like the headphone jack on the iPod). My G500 didn't have a jack, so I installed a 3.5mm jack for my iPod.

If you are fitting a COMAND after the fact, you can put whatever jack you want. The AUX input is just a set of pins on the ISO connector, so you need to wire it to wherever you want, and fit the connector you want. I've standardized on 3.5mm.

-s-

PS If anyone is interested in retrofitting a COMAND unit to your car, reserve a space now as Steve comes back to the USA from last week of January through Mid February.

COMAND retrofits can be performed on: W208 (CLK), W210 (E class), W203 (C class), W163 (ML), 2002+ W463 (G class), etc.

Contact me or Steve for pricing and details.

·
Registered
2004 E320 wagon
29 Posts
cables and wires...

Thanks for the quick reply. So that 3.5mm jack just connects to the head of the ipod. And that jack cable just sort of dangles from the comand unit?
The levels and all are then set from the ipod itself?
Again thanks for the valuable information.
Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts