Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it is just me and maybe I need professional help, but I swear I must turn around at least 2 or 3 times to look back at my w126 as I walk into work. Luckily I get to work around 6 am so there is no one around to observe my repeated turning around and staring.
Do I need help? It has gotten better. When I first bought the 300SEL, my face hurt because I did not stop smiling for 3 days.[:)]
Also, thanks to Jonathan and Secret Squirrel for all the help on replacing my water temp sensor.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
Michael Pillay - 4/6/2005 7:21 AM

Maybe it is just me and maybe I need professional help, but I swear I must turn around at least 2 or 3 times to look back at my w126 as I walk into work.
don't worry -- it's an illness most of us share with you [:)] and don't want a cure for [:D]

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've always thought that the worse thing about the SEC, is that you can't see yourself driving it! Once my car meets my standards, I may have a videographer follow me to give me a video of how great it looks going down the road.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i'm right with you. Lets hope all our cars stay in shape so we can all continue to admire them for years to come.[:)]

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I do the same thing once I arrive at any destination. I praise the engineers who sat down and came up with the overall body design of our W126's. I would have loved to be there and seen the look on their faces when they all met with the final approval. It's truly something to be admired by us as owners and those who wish they owned one.[:D]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Don’t get me started…

Oh dear, too late…

I park far out in the parking lot not only to avoid dings but to have a longer walk to admire the car as I walk up to it. At work I go out to the employees’ parking lot to ‘stretch my legs,’ this of course is a lame excuse to do a walk around of my car, admiring it from every angle and direction. While coming out of the store just today I was stunned and taken aback by the beauty and grace of my car it was the best looking of all the cars, trucks and SUVs in the lot. It’s beautiful from the front, side and back, it’s graceful, elegant, stylish and cool looking, it turns heads – I get nods and thumbs up on a regular basis.

Yes, I have a problem and I freely admit it...and I've had it almost 4 years...[:I]

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have the same problem and not only with mine but other benzes in the parking lots/roads [:D]

Its called an MB disease and spreads only to those who purchase a fine vehicle like a MB. [:D]

·
Registered
573 Posts
whats the best angle??

for all of us self-admirers.......what do you think is the best angle for the 126 (lets say you were walking up to it from a distance, what in your opinion would be the most impressive angle).

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I LOVE driving by mirrored office buildings and mirrored store windows, and next to polished gas tankers....

·
Premium Member
89' 560SEL, 92' 300CE
417 Posts
My favorite angle now is from the front/side so I can see my new euro lights [:D] Shucks... I've always thought I had big problems the way I luv to look at "her". Glad to hear we all do it. Heck, sometimes I go over board tho. I say things like..."dang she's fine huh?" (while walking up to her)... then I get in a say stuff like..."hey girl, ready to make me feel good today?"... LOL... any guest I have in my car, I have to introduce them to "nelly bell" as they buckle up and we start to go. Especially if its a girl in the passenger seat...gotta introduce or else "nellybell" might get mad. [:D]
My car really is my #1 girl!!

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
The "Benz double-take" -- when you turn back to look at your car - Jeez, I thought I was the only one who did that!

My favorite angle is towards the front quarter - either side... there's just something about that big Benz grille, with the sun glinting off the star...

Sometimes when I walk towards my SEL, or especially when I walk towards my 560SL, I have to remind myself that that beautiful piece of rolling art is ALL MINE!

-Robert

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
RE: whats the best angle??

mercbuff - 4/6/2005 4:07 PM

for all of us self-admirers.......what do you think is the best angle for the 126 (lets say you were walking up to it from a distance, what in your opinion would be the most impressive angle).
Well, as I have a coupe, I enjoy looking at the front end. However, since I"ve changed the rear wheels to 18"x10" w/ 275's on them, the view from the rear is pretty sinister.

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
my bgenz pisses off the watch man at my residence.. bcuz its 285 wheels keeps spoiling his hard work of cleaning the parking lot surface as turning such wide wheels draws black spots..

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well if we are being truthful, I do drive past this mirrored building and I always look over. I dont care if there is no cure for this disease and I am glad I am not the only one afflicted.[:)]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being proud of our 126s, with the w126 one gets the whole package: great looks, outstanding build quality, and relatively good reliability, considering some examples are nearly 20 years old. These are the best looking cars MB made during this era, the r107 being it’s only rival, imo – the 123s and 124s are handsome cars to be sure but slightly missing the mark – the 126 is an on target design.

·
Registered
1986 SEC 560
164 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, I worked in a mirrored office building over the summer and nearly killed my co-workers by looking at the reflection and not the people walking through the parking lot.

I also parked either alone and far away or next to my bosses's Z06 Corvette and Jaguar XJR.

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
jdc1244a - 4/6/2005 5:24 PM

... These are the best looking cars MB made during this era, the r107 being it’s only rival, imo – the 123s and 124s are handsome cars to be sure but slightly missing the mark – the 126 is an on target design.
I must agree with this... though I think the R107 SLs are somewhat better-looking cars than our 126s... but then again, I usually like sports car designs better than sedans or large coupes.

Actually, the 126 sedans are my SECOND favorite sedan design - my very favorite being the older Jaguar XJ-6 and XJ-12. I think these are the best-looking sedans ever designed. It is just too bad that the engineering, build quality and reliability were nowhere near a match for the 126s. As JDC says, the 126s provide the "whole package". I was looking at XJs when I bought my SEL, but decided on several times the Jag's reliability, with styling that is about 90% as good as the Jag. I'm glad I chose the 126!

-Robert

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
...YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK!!!!!!!!!!

BUT SO AM I!!!!!GUILTY OF EVERYTHING!!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts