Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380 sl
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm about to rebuilds my front brake calipers. Bendix type. Any head up things to look out for or handy tips on how to do this job?
Thanks, Rookie[:I][:I][?]

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
I'm doing the same on my 1985 300D. ATE calipers. Where are you in the process?

I have yet to start the rebuild. The hardest part so far was removing the calipers. I'm also replaceing the rotors as one brake pad was worn to the metal when I bought it a month ago.

--Dan

·
Registered
1982 380 sl
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dan,

I allready have the calipers off the car. Was not that hard for me. Now i'm waiting for the ups guy/girl to show up with my rebuild kit. Have the car up on jackstands, so i can do both sides at once.
What i'm reading in the Haynes manual is to push the cilinders out in order to get the seals out better. But have to figure out to attach a pump or something to get the cilinders moving. Why did Mercedes use two different manufactures for brakes? We have same year and model.
Well hopefully get it done this week. Let me know how you are doing.

Rookie[;)][:)]

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
Hey, where do you place your jack stands? I bought some jack stands to do the same thing...both wheels at once, but I couldn't figure out where it was safe to place them.

If you figure out how to attach a pump to the caliper let me know. I have that same question posted somewhere else in one of these forums.

I'm ordering my rebuild kit today. Also, replacing brake line (rubber tubing part), pads, rotors.

I have no idea why we have different calipers.

Good luck,
--Dan

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
didnt they use 3 types of calipers? teves, bendix and girling?

ill also be interested in seeing how this pans out! i have one on the back that is sticking, as was said before, it was sticking when i bought the car too, one of my pads was completly worn away! i wonder if theyre the same model?

·
Registered
1982 380 sl
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dan,

I have the jackstands placed under the beams. If you look under your car at the point where you normally would put your jack in, more to the center of the car are two beams that i use to place the jackstands under. Also put something behind the rearwheels, just in case!!
I found an old bicycle pump in my garage. See if i can modify it a little so i can hook it up to the calipers.
Got my rebuilt kit yesterday. If i look at my calipers, the outside rubber compared to the new ones, are totally worn out.
Keep you posted,
Rookie[;)][;)]

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
MetaPhysicalPajamas - 5/4/2005 7:14 PM

Air hose may blow the pistons out. While they are hooked up to the car the brake pedal will blow the pistons out.
I figured that your idea of using the car to push out the pistons was a good one. However if you have a leaking piston and have lost fluid apparently it doesn't. I tried. Hooked the calipers up to the car again, pumped the brakes, all that happend was brake fluid squirted out of the piston. Neither side's pistons popped out.

Has anyone used a bike pump or other device to pop out the pistons on the calipers? If so, could you give explicit instructions here?

--Dan

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,840 Posts
I know this thread is 5 years old. I just pulled my pistons out. I'd think that if you can't slide them out, your calipers/pistons are beyond repair (probably with corrosion or pitting) and buying a rebuilt caliper is probably smarter.

Also, if the brake fluid doesn't push the pistons out, why would air from a pump?

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
I know this thread is 5 years old. I just pulled my pistons out. I'd think that if you can't slide them out, your calipers/pistons are beyond repair (probably with corrosion or pitting) and buying a rebuilt caliper is probably smarter.

Also, if the brake fluid doesn't push the pistons out, why would air from a pump?
That is not always true. If brake fluid doesn't push the pistons out, the only thing it tells you for sure, is the cylinder is not completely sealed. I just rebuilt both front and read Teves calipers on my 1981 240D. It is actually very easy to do. There will be some minor oxidization, just make sure there is no pitting or scoring. The inner seals will probably be in good shape but worn down. The heat shields and dust covers will probably be shot. I used a buffing wheel for my power drill to clean the pistons and cylindars. Don't forget to lube everything with brake fluid before reassembly. Also, I let all of the parts soak in a dish of brake cleaner for about 45 minutes. I went from one working caliper in the front, to 4 completely working calipers. My car stops on a dime now. When you put the pistons back in, they will be very hard to push down. I used a c-clamp to slowly push them down.

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
I rebuilt the calipers on my coupe 15 years ago. Never again. Unless you've got moths in your wallet or too much time on your hands, I strongly recommend simply buying rebuilt calipers. The take-offs will be required as core.

//greg//

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
I rebuilt the calipers on my coupe 15 years ago. Never again. Unless you've got moths in your wallet or too much time on your hands, I strongly recommend simply buying rebuilt calipers. The take-offs will be required as core.

//greg//

I am suprised to hear you had a hard time with your calipers. They must have been in pretty rough shape. I was able to do each caliper in about and hour (4 hours total). Paying ~$20 per rebuild kit is much better than ~$200+ per caliper.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,840 Posts
Hey there MerzDiesler:

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to make sure I buy the right rebuild kit, and I'm pretty sure I have a TEVES with the (scriptlike) "Ate" written on it, and a big "22".

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Hey there MerzDiesler:

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to make sure I buy the right rebuild kit, and I'm pretty sure I have a TEVES with the (scriptlike) "Ate" written on it, and a big "22".
ATE = teves. If my memory is correct ATE is short for "Alfred Teves Enterprises" I am not sure what the 22 is for, mine say 60.

·
Registered
'79 300TD - '74 Triumph Spitfire, '86 Alfa GTV6 & Spider
24 Posts
I am suprised to hear you had a hard time with your calipers. They must have been in pretty rough shape. I was able to do each caliper in about and hour (4 hours total). Paying ~$20 per rebuild kit is much better than ~$200+ per caliper.
I got rebuilt front calipers from AutohausAZ for $70 each a couple weeks ago. Bendix, and very nice. Will cost a bit in shipping to send the cores backj, but the shipping to me was free. Given that the rebuild kits were $35ea, this seemed like a no-brainer to me. My time is worth much more than the difference in price.

My calipers looked like they had been on the bottom of the ocean. Completely siezed on all four pistons. :eek:

-Kevin

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
I got rebuilt front calipers from AutohausAZ for $70 each a couple weeks ago. Bendix, and very nice. Will cost a bit in shipping to send the cores backj, but the shipping to me was free. Given that the rebuild kits were $35ea, this seemed like a no-brainer to me. My time is worth much more than the difference in price.

My calipers looked like they had been on the bottom of the ocean. Completely siezed on all four pistons. :eek:

-Kevin
My calipers are ATE, I have never seen them that cheap. If I found quality rebuilt ATE calipers for that price, I might have reconsidered my position.

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
Paying ~$20 per rebuild kit is much better than ~$200+ per caliper.
They musta seen ya comin' cuz mine didn't run anywhere close to that. Kinda sad too, see'n as how you live so close to AutoHausAZ. Like I said, it's been 15 years. But I think remanufactured calipers from NAPA were somewhere in the neighborhood of $50/$40 front/rear, as opposed to rebuild kits around maybe $12-$15. I changed the master cylinder, and all the flex lines while I was at it. That brake job is still on the car today.

//greg//

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
NAPA had calipers for 35 each, although there was a weird core charge of 45, i still think it was good.
Are they genuine OEM calipers or are they a NAPA brand?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts