Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 SL500
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my SL in for a test today, and when I got home I looked over the test results and noticed that there was no test for nitrogen oxide (NOx). I called the shop to find the reason for the omission. The guy stated something about the anti-skid not being able to be fully turned off was why is was not tested.

Knowing that high NOx is the #1 reason cars fail smog, I'm not complaining one bit, for this means that I'll never have to worry about failing a check. Has anyone else had this experience or can validate that fixed anti-skid actually is the reason for not testing it?

Just one more reason why I love this car!

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,970 Posts
I had Smog last year at a Test-Only Station and because of the ASR, they did not run it on the treadmill even it was specified as a Smog-II Test. Will have to find the old test printout to see if it did or skipped NOx.

·
Registered
1992 SL 300, 1994 E320, 1999 Land Rover Dicso II
147 Posts
HI guys,
My 1992 300SL failed smog. Is the NO(PPM) the same as NOx? It failed at 15mph with 548 with 524 as max. My car has no engine check light. It was an east coast car. Does this make a difference? The original owner's manual says "California only".

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,970 Posts
NO or NOx are same thing : Oxides of Nitrogen.
CEL will not come on for minor stuffs, and 548 is just slightly over 524 so it is 'minor' as far as the engine is concern, but unfortunately 524 is the MAX limit for Calif, so even 525 will fail you.
There should be a emission sticker somewhere in the engine compartment indicating if it was designed to comply with Calif Emission Standard.

As for smog for cars bought from out of State into California, I started a thread a while back you may want to look at :

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1436722-buying-used-car-california.html#post3411235

1 - 4 of 4 Posts