Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For all you California guys, would you know if its still possible to get the older blue Cali license plates from the DMV?

i think they would be more period correct for the car

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
They would be period correct for 82-86 cars, but unfortunately, the answer is no.

Those blue plates are still valid for the cars that have them. But you can't retrofit them yet, as you can with 1962 and older plates...

There was legislation introduced twice to allow for retrofitting of the black plates (1963-69), but it was vetoed both times by Governer Ahnold. Something about them not being reflectorized. the blue plates aren't reflectorized either.

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
I have an idea on how to make it It isn't 100% legal, but it would probably work.

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks for the quick response.

i really like those blue plates.
How about transfering license plates? is the possible? (im desperate ;) )

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boardmonger said:
I have an idea on how to make it It isn't 100% legal, but it would probably work.
i was really considering it at first :p .

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Boardmonger said:
Buy another identical car and swap the plates?

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
P4olom said:
i really like those blue plates.
How about transfering license plates? is the possible? (im desperate ;) )
Unfortunately, you could transfer blue plates, but it wouldn't be legal. I'm really sorry to have to say that, I know exactly how you feel.:mad:

If you had PERSONALIZED blue plates already, on another car you owned, or blue HAM radio plates, or blue PP ( press photographer) plates, it's possible that you MIGHT be able to transfer them....
but I am not sure about that.

I'm quite sure that you can't legally transfer a regular alpha numeric sequence blue plate onto a car.

This doesn't address that issue, but it has pictures of all of them: California License Plates - CALPL8S

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I remember seeing a brand new w211 with the blue plates along Anaheim Hills. Not sure if that was personalized or something because I just passed by it.

Mark is right, you need to get a car with the original blue plates on it (that wagon I told you about had them!)... :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey, I have blue/yellow plates on my coupe!

Also, I had a Lancia back in '98 or so and ordered custom plates ... blue/yellow was an option at that time and had them on my car ... still have one somewhere (the plate, not the car).

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Jim I have seen that before where it's clearly a new car but the plates are 20 years old. It must be legal somehow. Can't the plate just simply be registered as a vanity plate and then transferred to the intended car with current tags?

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats what im trying to find out.

*random thought*
i just realized that uncle works for the DMV ill ask him tomorrow about that

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
diametricalbenz said:
Jim I have seen that before where it's clearly a new car but the plates are 20 years old. It must be legal somehow. Can't the plate just simply be registered as a vanity plate and then transferred to the intended car with current tags?
Curtis, I wish you were right, but no again! Whether in or out of the system, alphanumeric combinations not yet cancelled (Like the black and yellow 1962 plates have been) CANNOT unfortunately, be put on vanity plates in Calif. People have tried.

YOM (Year of manufacture) plates so far are only legal up through 1962, and even with them, a small visible plate for the current year sticker needs to be affixed to them.

I have heard that last month a bill to extend YOM plates through 1969, which would allow the Calif. black plates has once again been introduced. The blue plates were first issued in 1970, and were not included in the legislation.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
diametricalbenz said:
Curtis, I wish you were right, but no again! Whether in or out of the system, alphanumeric combinations not yet cancelled (Like the black and yellow 1962 plates have been) CANNOT unfortunately, be put on vanity plates in Calif. People have tried.

YOM (Year of manufacture) plates so far are only legal up through 1962, and even with them, a small visible plate for the current year sticker needs to be affixed to them.

I have heard that last month a bill to extend YOM plates through 1969, which would allow the Calif. black plates has once again been introduced. The blue plates were first issued in 1970, and were not included in the legislation.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Speaking of plates, if you're the type who'd rather keep the plates on, I suggest that when you have the car registered, get a new sticker for the month of registration so that it looks fresh. Usually they give it out for free, but I heard they'll charge for it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
I am looking desperatley for an old month tag in red. I've seen some other months, but have yet to find a red may tag.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
karugs said:
Speaking of plates, if you're the type who'd rather keep the plates on, I suggest that when you have the car registered, get a new sticker for the month of registration so that it looks fresh. Usually they give it out for free, but I heard they'll charge for it now.
Some Calif. AAA offices handle registration. If you are a AAAmember, you could try there also, and ask, their clerks at the counter there are much more easy going, and not rule crazy like those
at the regular DMV offices, and I'd bet that they
would probably give you a free one.

And, the lines for DMV service are ALWAYS much shorter at the AAA, too. As long as the registration issue isn't complicated, they work much better for the average customer. If things get complicated though, they will refer you to the DMV though

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
So Jim, what's the deal with old Blue plates on new cars? Is that illegal? I know and have seen some cars with them on it. In fact I know one person who has a vanity Blue plate and has it on their Volvo. Is that an exception?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts