Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'99 E320 Sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a resource to recore cats to meet California emissions standards?
My 1999 E320 left cat has a bad rattle. The garage told me I need to replace it real soon. Unfortunately this California emissions restriction has a lot of folks, like myself, in the hurt locker. We have to buy specific converters to meet these emissions standards.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can use Carsound Hi-Flow(Made by MagnaFlow)Cats. They are reasonably priced(less than a quarter of the OEM Cats), Carsound Cats are OBD II compliant and CA state legal..... Make sure of the ff. 1). have your local muffler shop select the SAME SIZE or LARGER DIAMETER Carsound Cat- remember that your replacement Cat should reach the same operating temp. as the OEM, some smaller diameter Cats will have problems dealing with the volume and temperatures. 2). make sure all the welds are sealed- no leaks....My M5 had the same Cat problems(later BMWs are plagued with the Cat Failures)....BTW, are you sure its the Cat?? Have your local Muffler shop do a Cat Pressure Test BEFORE they take out your OEM CAT just to be sure..........Also, you mentioned you have the bank misfire codes possibly caused by your MAF Sensor Failure-- FYI, Cat Failure symptoms CAN ALSO MIMIC a MAF Sensor Failure symptoms(Hesitation, lack of power, etc...) If your Cats are rattling like "marbles in a can" during accelleration it is very possible that they are bad.......Good Luck!

·
Registered
'99 E320 Sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the useful info.
I'm 99.9% sure the cat is bad. It rattles badly, indicating that the ceramic core has broken loose plus it has been confirmed by two different shops on different occasions.

Good point concerning the cat failure/Air Mass Meter symptoms. However, I had a check engine light (was not a loose gas cap) that I had the garage turn off when they read the codes. I shot the AMM element with brake cleaner once before and the light went off for about a day, but returned. Waiting to see if it now returns in a few days, likely confirming the faulty AMM.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes, It seems both the Cat & MAF has failed at the same time on you. Dont forget to check your Harmonic Balancer as well(check the thread below).....If you can do us fellow MB enthusiasts a favor, Pls. post the Carsound Cat Part Number later if you decide to do this fix....Thank You and Good Luck!

·
Registered
E-320 Wagon 1998
9 Posts
pre cat

Anybody have info on the small "pre cat". The drivers side front cat has gone bad. The dealer says it is ok to run but it is a bit noisey. Approx. $900.00 to replace at the Bay Area California dealer. Can you get them used or after market?
1998 E320 wagon. 120,000 mi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts