Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
W123.133(1985)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows if there's an air filter other than the Knecht brand?
The specific size for the 1985 300DT Cal.version(w.trap oxidizer....)has turned out imposible(till now) to find in Argentina.
Any suggestions?
Thanks ,Alejo.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
As far as I know there are no other sources for this hard to find filter. I know a parts s...

As far as I know there are no other sources for this hard to find filter. I know a parts supplier in San Diego, California that sells them to me at $24US each which is a bargain compared to everyone else. If you are interested please send me a private message and I will provide you with all of his information.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
You may want to convert it to an easier to find filter with a more common housing. I haven...

You may want to convert it to an easier to find filter with a more common housing. I haven't seen the trap Oxidizer on 123 series.

Likely be great fun auto site seeing in Argentina.
I read in Hemmings where a 1920's Graham Paige drove from Argentina to the USA and Canada criss crossing
North America. THe couple got it for free and had been in daily use in Argentina until the 1990's, then
made the illustrious trip a few years ago.

They made many new friends, luck and the kindness of auto enthusiasts kept the Pierce Arrow going. THe wife even had a baby in the USA.
John Gregg

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Converting to a more common air filter housing is not as simple as you might think. It wou...

Converting to a more common air filter housing is not as simple as you might think. It would be necessary to also change the intake and exhaust manifolds, change the exhaust outlet pipe and removal of the trap oxidizer system. I would be a very time and money consuming project.
There was also a recall of the trap oxidizer system by MB. If the work required under the recall is not completed, serious damage to the engine may occur. All the work and parts is covered free of charge by the recall.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I have seen pictures of the football size looking montrosity known as a trap oxidizer. But...

I have seen pictures of the football size looking montrosity known as a trap oxidizer. But never one in person for real. My 84 300D Turbo California version does not have one.

It comes apart and destroys the engine if not replaced
or in North America gives the owner of the car a new exhaust system. The dealers may not do the exchange outside of Canada and the USA.

If the large trap oxidizer is there it needs to come out.
John Gregg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.