Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One fatality in an odd wreck with an odd set of circumstance and outcomes.

And yes, Miranda Combs is that scary looking in person too.

Deadly Crash Causes Traffic Backup On I-64

Traffic was backed up for miles on I-64 on Friday afternoon after a deadly cross-over crash.

It happened just after 2:00 near exit 58 in Woodford County, near the Franklin County line.

Police say a blue mini Cooper, traveling in westbound, crossed the median and slammed into a white 1993 Cadillac.

The impact was so great, the engine came out of one of the cars.

The Cadillac ended up off the road, in the tree line. The impact threw the driver, who was wearing a seat belt, into the backseat of the car.

A witness pulled the man from the car and administered CPR on him until first responders got on to the scene.

Police say that man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the mini Cooper was airlifted from the scene to UK Hospital, but we're told she did not suffer life-threatening injuries. We're told she was not wearing a seat belt.

Police shut the road down for several hours as they cleaned up and investigated.

Traffic was backed up for miles until the road reopened sometime after 6:00 on Friday.

The traffic troubles were compounded by the fact that just down the road, another crash shut down the westbound lanes of I-64.

That crash happened in Franklin County, near the Kentucky River Bridge. There's no word on how long it took to clear that crash from the road.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
I agree. Cole Porter's Begin The Beguine when sung by Ella Fitzgerald is the best song in the world.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew none of the parties involved [that I know of]. I was just surprised at the outcome that the belted caddy driver died while the unbelted mini driver is listed in good condition.

·
Registered
290 Posts
that is weird considering i drove my friends mini cooper S for the 1st time this weekend. my brothers and i gave him hell on how small the car is even though its great on gas.

who would have thought i would have 'won' in an impact with a caddy?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I knew none of the parties involved [that I know of]. I was just surprised at the outcome that the belted caddy driver died while the unbelted mini driver is listed in good condition.
The Caddy drive may have suffered a heart attack instead of the sustained injuries from the wreck. How old was the Caddy driver? I didn't hear they mentioned his age.

·
Registered
18,534 Posts
The impact threw the driver, who was wearing a seat belt, into the backseat of the car.
It would seem at some point the driver was not wearing a seatbelt.

1993 Cadillac…
I know to us old folks 1993 seems like yesterday but that’s a long time for an automobile, particularly a GM product. If the Mini is just a few years old with modern – and functional – safety features, it’s not so surprising the Mini driver was not killed.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It would seem at some point the driver was not wearing a seatbelt.
It was the mini driver that was not wearing the seat belt. The caddy driver was wearing his but was thrown into the back seat of the car. I just talked to 27 and the guy who died was 52, died of blunt force trauma.

I know to us old folks 1993 seems like yesterday but that’s a long time for an automobile, particularly a GM product. If the Mini is just a few years old with modern – and functional – safety features, it’s not so surprising the Mini driver was not killed.
The car, from the video looked to be in bad shape with rust on the roof so it is possible that things did not work as they were suppose to.

·
Banned
8,498 Posts
Miranda Combs

One fatality in an odd wreck with an odd set of circumstance and outcomes.

And yes, Miranda Combs is that scary looking in person too.

Deadly Crash Causes Traffic Backup On I-64

Traffic was backed up for miles on I-64 on Friday afternoon after a deadly cross-over crash.

It happened just after 2:00 near exit 58 in Woodford County, near the Franklin County line.

Police say a blue mini Cooper, traveling in westbound, crossed the median and slammed into a white 1993 Cadillac.

The impact was so great, the engine came out of one of the cars.

The Cadillac ended up off the road, in the tree line. The impact threw the driver, who was wearing a seat belt, into the backseat of the car.

A witness pulled the man from the car and administered CPR on him until first responders got on to the scene.

Police say that man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the mini Cooper was airlifted from the scene to UK Hospital, but we're told she did not suffer life-threatening injuries. We're told she was not wearing a seat belt.

Police shut the road down for several hours as they cleaned up and investigated.

Traffic was backed up for miles until the road reopened sometime after 6:00 on Friday.

The traffic troubles were compounded by the fact that just down the road, another crash shut down the westbound lanes of I-64.

That crash happened in Franklin County, near the Kentucky River Bridge. There's no word on how long it took to clear that crash from the road.
I think Miranda Combs is a space alien, But she has a very pretty mouth if you know what I mean.:D:D:D:eek:

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
I seem to recall a recent TopGear crash test that pitted a MC? (I think) and an MB? (I think), using crash dummies, and the small car came out much better than the large one. I'll look for the video later. It was very impressive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts