Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing a new Double DIN head unit in place of the old clunky Comand 2.0.

The new system comes with a reversing/back up camera that I want to fit into the rear bumper, so obviously the camera cable has to run from the rear bumper to the head unit.
If anyone has fitted a reverse camera or parking sensors, is there an easy route with this cable?
I did have one thought that was to use the now obsolete CD changer cables but I'm not sure if there is a screened cable amongst them, if not would that matter too much?
Thanks for any help or suggestions,
James.

·
Administrator
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am in the process of installing a new Double DIN head unit in place of the old clunky Comand 2.0.

The new system comes with a reversing/back up camera that I want to fit into the rear bumper, so obviously the camera cable has to run from the rear bumper to the head unit.
If anyone has fitted a reverse camera or parking sensors, is there an easy route with this cable?
I did have one thought that was to use the now obsolete CD changer cables but I'm not sure if there is a screened cable amongst them, if not would that matter too much?
James.
Of course the signal to the old Comand head unit is fibre. It is in a thin conduit but unfortunately it is tight somewhere so I can't pull the camera cable through using one or both fibre cables.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,427 Posts
Why not use a wireless rear cam?
That's what we did, without running cable, fore to aft.
Cables run within the rear hatch top side pillar (all hidden) and thru the rubber harness connection, topside of the rear hatch PS.
Tapped into power at the PS rear tail lamp harness.

However, if you wish to run cable, either side via the front kick panels and along the outer edge from front to back unti you reach the backside of the rear seating in which you can go up along the door opening behind the rubber door seals (easy to pull away but do it carefully), then to the rear hatch along the topside.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,659 Posts

James.
Is there a particular reason you want the camera in the bumper ?

I recently had a camera mounted just above the rear license plate and it works flawlessly as soon as the ML is put in reverse. The bracket holding the camera uses the top two license bolt holes to secure.

Wiring is run up through the driver A pillar through the roof and comes down on the driver C pillar to the rear hatch. The license plate location is also a safer location due to the fact that the bumper protects the rear hatch.

This IS a job best accomplished by someone whom is familiar with the ML wiring and the rubber encased looms available to be used to prevent damage to wiring and water intrusion.... just a suggestion.

·
Administrator
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a particular reason you want the camera in the bumper ?

I recently had a camera mounted just above the rear license plate and it works flawlessly as soon as the ML is put in reverse. The bracket holding the camera uses the top two license bolt holes to secure.

Wiring is run up through the driver A pillar through the roof and comes down on the driver C pillar to the rear hatch. The license plate location is also a safer location due to the fact that the bumper protects the rear hatch.

This IS a job best accomplished by someone whom is familiar with the ML wiring and the rubber encased looms available to be used to prevent damage to wiring and water intrusion.... just a suggestion.
I did look at mounting the camera in that area but the hatchback door opener would prevent that position.
I've attached a photo, not of my car but identical model and colour, for the various options.
The place on the bumper just above the tow bar seems the easiest mounting place as I will have to cut the shape of the camera in set it into the bumper. (photo of the camera attached too).
I'm going to try testing the camera using the obsolete CD changer wiring just to see if it will work without screened cable before resigning myself to the torturous route as described above..
There are three wires that go to CD changer so maybe use two as the 'shield' and one as the inner core.

·
Administrator
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success by just using those three wires that run from the old Comand 2.0 unit to the CD changer in the boot.

It's all just temporary rigged with the camera balanced on a box in the boot with the rear door open.
I shall now cut into the bumper for a definitive fix and tidy up the wires which now are easy to route down to the camera.
Attached photo(remember it's a cloudy dull day here in Southern Spain plus reflections on the screen ;) )

Photo

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,659 Posts
Looks like you've got a great location ! Being able to use your existing wiring was a HUGE plus.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together !!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,427 Posts
You have used a larger (wider) rear view cam with the night vision leds. :)

Boscam smaller version with leds.
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 5.58.01 AM.png

·
Administrator
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your encouragement, the next task is to fit the DDIN head unit into the space where the old Comand was located.
The DDin came with two mounting brackets but they will be impossible to use.
I have taken off the facia with the air-con controls etc, and also removed the glove box, this way I may be able to position the DD and bolt through directly.
With the glove box removed I can also drill through the dashboard to fix the GPS antenna in the corner right side of the dash board top, also drill through the glove box to house the USB socket.
There will still be the camera to fit, but I'm sure that will just be a patience job?
When all is finished I'll take some photos to post up.

We're in total lockdown here so no rush to use the car......
James.

·
Administrator
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK all done and fitted.
I wouldn't say it was easy but in the current lockdown in Spain it gave me plenty to do and think about.
The new D DIN unit is behaving perfectly I have the USB socket in the glove box loaded with many Gbs of music and movies.
I fitted the GPS antenna in the right corner of the dashboard and it picks up Navi signal very well.
With the reverse camera I didn't want to surface mount it where it could get damaged so I soldered up a copper box to fit it into so it can't get damaged easily. Aesthetically it's not that pleasing on the eye fixed into the bumper with M5 torx bolts, but at least it's strong and it works really well.
So apart for a fully functioning 7" D DIN, I've got a Comand 2.0 D DIN and a six CD autochanger :D

The photos are the copper camera holder, the camera fitted into the bumper,the new working D DIN unit and the GPS antenna .....and no, I didn't drill into the airbag ;)

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,021 Posts
What he did not tell you is that all of that music he has stashed on the drive for the USB port is all Polka music. ;)

·
Administrator
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice job......!
Thanks for the vote of confidence (y)

Cost wise the whole project was under $100 ... This was the D Din I bought that included the reverse camera

I thanked the seller who replied to every query I had and mentioned that I was part of BenzWorld. He replied and even offered a discount for more purchases of the D DIN unit.
James.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,659 Posts
What he did not tell you is that all of that music he has stashed on the drive for the USB port is all Polka music. ;)
Ah yes, brings back memories of my aunt, who absolutely loved the Lawrence Welk show.....that was painful to watch when you were a kid (or possibly an adult !!)

·
Administrator
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Polka music??? Que va, it's a mixture of rock, R&B and country music and a load of guitar instrumentals thrown in.

BTW the photo of the mounted rear camera shows silver undercoat, it's now been sprayed with the correct colour and lacquered so it now blends in, also the tow bar panel has been filed down to fit properly.

·
Purple Moderator
22,021 Posts
Ah yes, brings back memories of my aunt, who absolutely loved the Lawrence Welk show.....that was painful to watch when you were a kid (or possibly an adult !!)
I loved the bubble machines on that show. It was a painful show to endure for a kid who was into bands like Led Zep and Cream.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Lol. LW??:eek:
You folks are bringing out some good hidden memories.
And a 1, And a 2....

No apologies for the subject change.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,659 Posts
Lol. LW??:eek:
You folks are bringing out some good hidden memories.
And a 1, And a 2....

No apologies for the subject change.
Thanks for sharing that khomer2 !.....for a second I thought that was going to continue......ah one and a two and ah ..........!

·
Purple Moderator
22,021 Posts
The closest radio station to me is a very small one, but it is a polka station. I live in a region that was settled by lots of Germans, Prussians and Scandanavian immigrants.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts