Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I got an idea that maybe I could upgrade all the bulbs in the inside of my car (instrument cluster, center console, etc) to something a bit brighter, maybe even LED? .... the idea is from being in any new MB's, everything is much brighter, and WHITE! ... I do like the soft amber lighting in our cars but am curious as to how easy or difficult it might be to replace all of the bulbs with a different, brighter type of bulb?

Does anybody have any experience in this, as far as what would be compatible?

I just figure it would be a fairly inexpensive 'upgrade' that doesn't involve actually modifying anything. It would just freshen up the driving experience after my near 2-years of ownership, and maybe make the car feel a bit newer.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I've seen it done on another forum I'm pretty sure that you'll get an LED that will fit into the sockets for the interior bulb fairly easily.

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
Just be warned: Getting at the bulbs in the gear shifter and the vent control wheels is a good bit of labor. I'd hate to see you wind up with two-tone interior lighting because of that.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,564 Posts
Good Idee but some of those, mainly within the or at Middle console are of the Fibre ( optics ? ) Lights and i dont think that they can or could be upgraded as there is no Bulb/Globe ( maybe there could b just 1 big one wich would controll all the other's ? ) like in the W126 model's .
Ciao

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Good Idee but some of those, mainly within the or at Middle console are of the Fibre ( optics ? ) Lights and i dont think that they can or could be upgraded as there is no Bulb/Globe ( maybe there could b just 1 big one wich would controll all the other's ? ) like in the W126 model's .
Ciao
It's quite interesting my drivers door control stopped working so I replaced it with a 2nd hand one. I opened up the old unit to have a look all that made the fiber-optics work was a bit of fiber-optic tubing and a regular bulb at the end of it to shine light down it. So replacing it should be fine.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,564 Posts
Mmmh,interesting ,i wouldent mind the Middle console's light's and the Door's Seat adjust Buttons surround ,to have just a touch more light to them,if there is just a single Globe ,what would it be,any specification's of the size or so ? i have seen it in my W126 ,it appeard to be sort of a Star light ,but i dident really look into it to see what it was .
Ciao

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still considering whether or not it's even something worth diving into, but if I decide to give it a try I'll start with just the instrument cluster and see how that goes first.... i really don't think I'd want to disassemble all the wood trim etc to get to the lights for the aircon adjustments etc..

I'm sure its much more work than it's worth, including the risk of breaking something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts