Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
clk550,2008,s-500-2000
4 Posts
HI EVERYBODY!!THIS IS MY FIRST POST.
I WILL LIKE TO CHANGE THE UNDERGLOVE BOX CABIN FILTER,DUE TO BAD ODOR,WHEN I START THE ENGINE.I HAVE A 41 000MILES CLK550 CONV. 2008.ANY HELP WILL BE APRECIATE!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I guess you are referring here to the activated charcoal filter - part of the a/c system. Looks like they come as a pair. There is also a dust filter located in the engine bay, over the battery. Unclip 3 catches to remove.

To change the charcoal filter, first remove the panel under the glove box by taking out the 2 screws. The filters are located next to the a/c blower. The drawing below will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
When I start my car (2004 CLK320), I can smell something from the ventilation. After the drive for a few minutes, the smell will go away. This happens even before I turn on the AC.

I don't recall ever changing these "activated charcoal filters". Strange, my car has been maintained by the dealership for many years, they never mentioned this.

·
Registered
clk550,2008,s-500-2000
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
carbon cabine filter change

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES,YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL.I WILL CHANGE THE AC ACTIVATED CARBON FILTER,(THANKS KEYHOLE),AND WILL SPRAY LYSOL IN THE DUCTS,I WILL POST RESULTS,THANK AGAIN

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
Just an FYI, posting in all caps is difficult to read and is consider "screaming" at your audience. :)

·
Registered
2008 CLK350 Coupe,White/Stone
59 Posts
Hold on!

I recently ordered an engine bay cabin air filter only to receive an inexpensive paper pleated filter without the charcoal my OEM filter has. I had to reorder a charcoal one so wasted the money on the first. This is the filter over the battery on the passenger side firewall (209).

Yesterday, I ordered one (1) carbon filter for under the glove box. But I see from the pictures you posted that it seems to require two (2) filters? Is that correct? There are a total of three (3) activated charcoal filters for the cabin air?

If so, I need to order the second one for under the glove box.

For mis3, you might be happy the dealership didn't replace those filters as it might have been an arm and a leg like most things they do outside of warranty. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Yesterday, I ordered one (1) carbon filter for under the glove box. But I see from the pictures you posted that it seems to require two (2) filters? Is that correct? There are a total of three (3) activated charcoal filters for the cabin air?
If you order air filters for the engine, they come as a pair. Similarly I would expect the activated charcoal filters to come as a pair. The paper a/c filter, located over the battery, is shown here when unclipped from the intake duct (on my RHD CLK)

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
This is my understanding:
Above the battery: Pollen filter 203-830-09-18
Behind the glove box: Charcoal filter

Can someone please provide the part number of the charcoal filter?

·
Registered
2002 CL 55 AMG Black 1998 CLK 320 silver coupe engine 112.940 trans. 722.607 115K miles
79 Posts
Charcoal filters for code 581 climate control P/N A203 830 21 18

·
Registered
2008 CLK350 Coupe,White/Stone
59 Posts
Question remains...

Let me boil it down:

Are there two (2) activated charcoal cabin air filters under the glove compartment IN ADDITION to the carbon cabin air filter above the battery in the engine compartment?

The picture, Number 1, has two arrows pointing to what appears to be two filters and instruction #3 says "Pull out both activated charcoal filters (1) from below."

I am referring to the PDF file in post #2.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Let me boil it down:

Are there two (2) activated charcoal cabin air filters under the glove compartment IN ADDITION to the carbon cabin air filter above the battery in the engine compartment?
The one above the battery is NOT a carbon filter - it's just paper as my image shows. Under the glove box are a pair of activated carbon filters.

Incidentally, before you pull off any panels, be advised that not ALL a/c systems have an activated charcoal filter. Check the unit front panel to see if you have a push-button there to switch it ON/OFF, as shown on my a/c panel below. (left side, to the right of the red UP arrow)

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
I talked to the parts department and he said that not all w209 have the charcoal filters. Is this true?

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
That is correct - only the models with the "full dual-zone" A/C have the charcoal filter. If all you have is dual temp control, but not dual airflow control, you don't have the charcoal filters. I believe the full dual-zone A/C system came standard on V8's but optional on V6 models (at least in the USA). Oh, and you will have a button to activate the charcoal filter. If you look at Keyhole's picture above, it's the button just to the left of the LCD panel that has the symbol ">|>" on it.

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
That is correct - only the models with the "full dual-zone" A/C have the charcoal filter. If all you have is dual temp control, but not dual airflow control, you don't have the charcoal filters. I believe the full dual-zone A/C system came standard on V8's but optional on V6 models (at least in the USA). Oh, and you will have a button to activate the charcoal filter. If you look at Keyhole's picture above, it's the button just to the left of the LCD panel that has the symbol ">|>" on it.
Is this the button that would close all the windows?

My car does have the dual-temp control. So, I do have the charcoal filter then. After 250K Km, I should probably change them.

The filter change and the "mist" procedure (to clean the ventilation system) will cost $300.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Is this the button that would close all the windows?
No - you are getting confused with holding down the 'Recirculate' button. That closes all windows & the sunroof - in case you are following a smelly vehicle... It's all in the Owner's Manual!

My car does have the dual-temp control. So, I do have the charcoal filter then.
Only if you have the filter ON/OFF switch. :)

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
Just read the manual, I do have the button called "Activated charcoal filter". So, I do have the charcoal filter. I usually use this button to close the windows and sunroof fast.

I did not know that the Air Recirculation button closes all the windows as well!

According to the Service Booklet, these filters should be changed every 100k km or 5 years. I guess I should change them soon. I called a local Toronto dealership, this part costs $165 CAN (sales tax included). I then called an US dealership, the same part costs $78.

·
19,441 Posts
Check the details below. CLK's with the system on the left do NOT have the activated charcoal filter. Those with controls on the right do. The button inside the right-hand control ring, above the small vent slats is the button that turns on the charcoal filter.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts