Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
05 SL55, 04 ML500, ML63 on order 997TT launch car on order
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m fighting a severe bout of cabin fever. My poor little SLK32 is in storage, and has been off the road since the first snow in December. My SL55 is months away, along with the start of open top driving, and that only intensifies the fever. This leads me to pose the following questions.
How many of you store your car in the winter months?
How often do you visit your car?
How many of you store your car off site?

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Scruffyone - 2/2/2005 4:39 AM

I’m fighting a severe bout of cabin fever. My poor little SLK32 is in storage, and has been off the road since the first snow in December. My SL55 is months away, along with the start of open top driving, and that only intensifies the fever. This leads me to pose the following questions.
How many of you store your car in the winter months?
How often do you visit your car?
How many of you store your car off site?
Ahh, the issues with the Northeast. It is a good thing I live in California because I would never be able to store my car during the winter. I visit my car everday when I drive it. [:)] The thought of not having my car in my garage horrifies me.

Yesterday was 72 degrees and the top was down all day! Come to California, it is like no other place. [:D]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife and I used to take a July vacation in Monterey, and we are long overdue. I would always rent a Mustang Cooornnvertible and drive the coast. California is a beautiful state, and the Monterey area has beautiful driving conditions.
I count myself fortunate in that I can visit the SLK daily, as it is stored in a vacant loading bay at work.
Happy crusin
BTW SL55, Agean Blue. I saw that color in the sunlight Friday. Your pictures show it very well, but seeing it in the sunlight sealed the deal for me.

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Scruffyone - 2/2/2005 5:30 AM

My wife and I used to take a July vacation in Monterey, and we are long overdue. I would always rent a Mustang Cooornnvertible and drive the coast. California is a beautiful state, and the Monterey area has beautiful driving conditions.
I count myself fortunate in that I can visit the SLK daily, as it is stored in a vacant loading bay at work.
Happy crusin
BTW SL55, Agean Blue. I saw that color in the sunlight Friday. Your pictures show it very well, but seeing it in the sunlight sealed the deal for me.
Congrats, you will be very happy. What interior did you get and what wood trim?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lovin
It was a very simple process; I just ran my hands over the different choices and I got my answer. Black Nappa with Burl Walnut and all options other than the Panorama roof. My SLK32 has the Olive Ash, and I wanted the accent of a slightly lighter wood.

How does one use the quote button?

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Scruffyone - 2/2/2005 2:51 PM

Lovin
It was a very simple process; I just ran my hands over the different choices and I got my answer. Black Nappa with Burl Walnut and all options other than the Panorama roof. My SLK32 has the Olive Ash, and I wanted the accent of a slightly lighter wood.

How does one use the quote button?
Scruffyone,

So you are basically getting the same colors as mine so you understand my feeling about how great your choices are. I assume you are also paying the $3,750 for the option of the Black Nappa. You are going to go nuts when you see that interior. Did you look at the detail in my pictures of all the differences? Let me know.

What stage is your car in? If you are not familiar with all of that I can show you how the codes work and you will be able to get a really good timing of when you are going to get your car.

Let me know if you understand the Netstar status codes and if not, I will help you.

This is a very fun yet driving yourself crazy time in anticipation.

Have fun and good luck and let me know.

Also, if you push the quote button on the post that you are answering, it repeats it at the top of your post like I have done. Reply just puts your post and nothing else. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Scruffyone - 2/2/2005 7:30 AM

Happy crusin
The scenery down PHW 1 from San Francisco to Pebble beach was breath taking. I wish I had a convertible when I did that drive.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lovin
Thanks for the info about the quote button. It’ll sure be handy in future replies.
Yes I saw your interior details, and it only took me a few minuets to clean the drool from my keyboard. I printed most of them on a color laser at work. After running my hands over the Nappa I told the dealer that it felt so nice that I wanted to take my clothes off and sit in it. That would sure clear the showroom in a hurry!

And yes; please help with the delivery codes, as I had no clue that they even existed.

Tiggerfink
It’s sad, but I have to give up the SLK32. It’s Brilliant silver and has only 5000 original miles on it. My original plan was to put myself into the SLK55 this spring, but I was a bit disappointed with the interior after I drove the SLK350 this summer.

The scenery is what that highway is all about. We went south from Monterey in July once on what I think was a very rare day. We headed out just before sunup, and we were socked in with fog until well after Carmel. The road was climbing higher and higher and so was the sun. It was quite a surprise when we rounded an uphill bend and popped above the fog into bright sunlight. It was almost like driving through a time warp because the transition was so sudden.

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Hey Scruffyone, I have the same interior and it is beautiful. Like Lovin says, the extra detail on the black nappa interior is awesome. I had no idea when I originally ordered mine that it would have such detail. I was pleasantly surprised to see it when the car arrived. I'm sure you will be quite happy when you see the difference between the basic leather detail and the nappa detail. Worth every penny to me, but then again, I'm all about options. I'm just curious as to why you did not get the pano. roof? I have it and it is really nice. When it is sunny out, the glass roof casts a beautiful glow on the interior that I just can't describe. Of course, I live in NY where the pano. roof is quite handy since you just can not have the top down every day due to the weather. I know that Lovin does not like the screen that comes with the roof, but actually it is quite a clever design. when fully engaged it still allows for a view outside and offers beautifully diffused sunlight throughout the interior cabin. All in all, those of us who have pano roofs, would never order another SL without one. Any way, good luck with your new SL!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I seldom use the sunroof in my ML, even though I had to have it when I bought it. My 86 Vette had the smoked plexi roof, and that was handy to look for bears in the air. I think that if I had chosen the Olive Ash trim that the Pano roof would be a good addition. The extra light would highlight the dark grain of the ash. The SL that I looked at Friday had the pano roof. Maybe if I had opened it up and sat inside I would have changed my mind.
Happy Driving

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
i didnt get the pano roof either. in my opinion, they can still improve it.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Scruffyone - 2/3/2005 7:12 AM

Tiggerfink
It’s sad, but I have to give up the SLK32. It’s Brilliant silver and has only 5000 original miles on it. My original plan was to put myself into the SLK55 this spring, but I was a bit disappointed with the interior after I drove the SLK350 this summer.
My salesman called me last year, and said I do not think you will like the new SLK350. I was number 2 on the waiting list at my dealership. I saw the car and was so disappointed with the interior. Also you can not get keyless go on the SLK 350.

I felt so heart broken, and I cancelled my SLK350 order.

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
i actually like the interior of the new slk, but u GOT to have keyless go

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OOPS!
How could you possibly get along without keyless go?
Tiggerfink; was it the aluminum trim that turned you off?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is nothing wrong with the aluminum trim. It seemed to be well made and well finished. The problem is that cheaper cars use cheap plastic and make it look like aluminum. It still looks like plastic. I’m sure Mercedes does not use plastic, but it reminded me of it. There was too much of it for my liking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts