Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the procedure to install a cabin dust filter for a 1996 SL500? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
Got it - it's a piece of cake....

Open the hood and right under the windshield wiper is...

Open the hood and right under the windshield wiper is a long black box with two phillis screws. Remove the two screws (they don't come all the way out) and un-fasten the three clips along the bottom. You just have to pop them off of the upper edge. It's a bit tight but do-able. Then remove the cover and there's your filter. I've heard that MBZ charges like $80.00 for the filter, but you can get them at an auto parts place cheaper but they may not fir right. Mine still works amazingly well for a 7 year old car so I didn't replace it. My friend has an S430, and MBZ wants like $1K to replace his, so we're lucky these are so easy.

·
Registered
1991 500SL
19 Posts
Re: Got it - it's a piece of cake....Open the hood and right under the windshield wiper is

Open the hood and right under the windshield wiper is a long black box with two phillis screws. Remove the two screws (they don't come all the way out) and un-fasten the three clips along the bottom. You just have to pop them off of the upper edge. It's a bit tight but do-able. Then remove the cover and there's your filter. I've heard that MBZ charges like $80.00 for the filter, but you can get them at an auto parts place cheaper but they may not fir right. Mine still works amazingly well for a 7 year old car so I didn't replace it. My friend has an S430, and MBZ wants like $1K to replace his, so we're lucky these are so easy.
This is correct, the key thing is to get in there and clean out all the debris, dead rats etc. You can use a high pressure hose and/or vacuum to clean out the existing filter and just replace it. Giving it several firm whacks will dislodge most of the dirt. I would recomend taking the filter to the dealer that wanted a thousand dollars for this and whacking him in the head with it - THEN replacing it. You will obtain maximum driving satisfaction this way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Re: Got it - it's a piece of cake....Open the hood and right under the windshield wiper is

This is correct, the key thing is to get in there and clean out all the debris, dead rats etc. You can use a high pressure hose and/or vacuum to clean out the existing filter and just replace it. Giving it several firm whacks will dislodge most of the dirt. I would recomend taking the filter to the dealer that wanted a thousand dollars for this and whacking him in the head with it - THEN replacing it. You will obtain maximum driving satisfaction this way.
This is good information to know...unfortunately my MB dealer's already hit me with a AUD$250 bill for doing what sounds like a perfectly do-able DIY job
[V]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts